Dolby Surround mode on Denon x3700h 5.2.4

JazAV

Standard Member
Whenever I enable DS mode when listening to stereo audio (Youtube, mp3 etc) on my Denon in a 5.2.4 setup, the stereo surround effects come from the rear height speakers as opposed to the rear floor speakers. Is this normal? My older 7.2 channel AVR gave me stereo surround effects from the floor surround speakers as there were no rear height speakers in that setup. I would prefer the stereo surround effects to come from my rear floor speakers. Is there a way to change it from the rear height speakers to the rear floor speakers? Thank you in advance....

gibbsy

I'm a firm believer that stereo music should just be played as intended. Putting it through the upmixers could degrade the quality, although YT and MP3 are a pretty low starting point.

Using DS will bring in all speakers that are connected. You say you have a 5.2.4 but then refer to rear height as opposed to rear floor. That begs the question of have you connected them correctly for a 5.1.4. With using DS the ceiling (Atmos) speakers should be more or less silent.

Example connection when using two sets of ceiling speakers​

Pict SP Layout 9.1 TR TF

Set “Height” - “Height Sp” to “4ch” in the menu when connecting in this configuration. link

Conne SP 9.1 TR TF X37E3

You can change the combination of the HEIGHT1 and HEIGHT2 channels in the settings. link

JazAV

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply.

I have connected them using these terminals above in a 9.1 channel setup with 4 height speakers in the setup menu under Amp Assign so nothing wrong there. Below is the attached pic for my setup. The last amp I had was a 5.1 setup using the Denon x3300w and so all ambient audio was sent to the rears. I just find it strange that even with the same bed layer of speakers the ambient audio is directed to the rear height channels. There is no literature on this whatsoever.

I appreciate all who can help. :)

Attachments

• 9.1.png
    9.1.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You may have mistakently configured the AV receiver as having a 7.1 floor layer as opposed to a 6.1 layer and as such the rear heights are in gact rear surrounds?

Note that DSU will upmixing any source not inclusive of Atmos metadata and utilise all of the speakers present, be these configured as height, ceiling or surrounds.

Even if correctly configured as heights as opposed to surrounds, the upmixing would engage them and use your 4 heights to ret ro create psudo Atmos like effects. The surround channels are not being duplicated by the heights and the AV receiver is processing the audio to try create Atmos like effects from sources not inclusive of Atmos metadata. This will engage the height speakers.

JazAV

Standard Member
Setup as 5ch floor speakers and 4 height speakers -2 front height and 2 rear height in a 9.1ch config.
So then, I think your explenation about DSU creating pseudo atmos effects make much sense with this type of setup. Thank you so much!

gibbsy

Setup as 5ch floor speakers and 4 height speakers -2 front height and 2 rear height in a 9.1ch config.
So then, I think your explenation about DSU creating pseudo atmos effects make much sense with this type of setup. Thank you so much!
You could try scrolling through the options on the music button (it's red on my remote). Select all channel stereo, that should, in theory give you the same output from every connected speaker.

JazAV

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply!
I don't like listening to anything with the all channel stereo feature. I too like a pure stereo signal for music but when I'm not too bothered I just leave it on Auto and then DSU kicks in (mainly for Youtube and sporting events). For movies, the DSU feature is essential for 5.1 upmixing whereas the DTS upmixer can be a little aggressive on the height speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom