Dolby Prologic on Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mike246, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have SKY+, a Toshiba Home Cinema and two simple questions

1. It seems that Sky transmit prologic at random times. Is there any way of knowing on what programmes it is coming up?

2. I have two ways of getting sound to my Home Cinema: optical from the SKY+ box and phono from the tele. If prologic is present, will it work either way?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Dolby surround is encoded into the stereo soundtrack and then used by a amp equipped with a Dolby PL decoder, SKY as such therefore do not transmit that specific format unlike DD5.1 audio which is a seperate datastream. The surround sound matrix is either put there by the production company or it isn't.
    It's pretty rare for any US program not to have a surround soundtrack and it's been used quite a lot of UK productions over the last decade, of course the surround effects vary from program to program so quite it's possible for the credits to list Surround but not have any real rear effects to speak of due to the nature of the program.

Optical or phonos are fine for Dolby Surround as long as your amp has Prologic I and/or II. The optical connection should give you better audio based on the assumption the DAC in the amp is superior to the one in the STB.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I watch all TV with my processor outputing DPL2. Even a program that is not recorded with a DPL soundtrack can be output in surround as the processor will do a 'best guess' type of decoding from the stereo sound and try and place effects around the other speakers.

Mark.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you press the info (i) button on the remote whilst watching a programme or browsing the planner, you will see some letters in the top right hand corner. DS & DD mean Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital. If neither of these appear, assume plain stereo.

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    I listen to everything in PL2 (other than DVD's of course :) ) .
    Supprisingly , loads of kids programming have surround sound (obviously its the kids watching them ;) )
    JS