Dolby Prologic II v. standard Prologic for Sky

O

Oxfordman

Can anyone please offer an opinion on whether it is worthwhile replacing an old Yamaha DSP-E390 processor with a new AV receiver just for using Prologic II (instead of standard Prologic) with Sky digital?
The dilemma is this: If I get a new AV receiver I would have to get rid also of my existing 2 channel amplifier and end up with a multichannel amp which might not be as good for listening to music. If, however, the enhancement in sound when watching Sky (mainly BBC/ITV/C4 and news channels but not sky movies) is substantial it might be worth the risk and the cost. I know a new AV receiver will also offer other ‘goodies’ such as Dolby digital,DTS inputs for SACD etc. but at the moment I would be grateful to hear any views on the sound improvement the "stereo" rear channels of Prolific II compared with the mono of standard Prologic.
The AV receivers I have in mind are the Pioneer D2011 and Denon 3803
Many thanks

Originally posted by Oxfordman
the enhancement in sound when watching Sky (mainly BBC/ITV/C4 and news channels but not sky movies)

There is a big improvement in sound from both rear channel and especially the centre channel which is IMO much clearer with speech being easy to follow. I am surprised you don't plan to watch Sky movies (they sound much better with PLII), but I assume that is down to your choice of Sky package and that is your business.

As for worrying about losing stereo use with your music, you can just as easily connect your amp to your new receiver and use it as you do now with your processor.

Originally posted by rowbos
Agreed, in my opinion PLII is a huge improvement over standard PL.

Can't really see anyone saying otherwise.

Moving from DPL to DPLII is almost as big an improvement jump as going from NICAM 2 channel stereo to DPL.

I've heard some DPLII stuff sound as good as lesser quality DD5.1 soundtracks.

DPL II rocks

It really is a great reason to upgrade.

Steff

:smashin: :D :smashin:

Edit: the word "reason" could easily be exchanged with the word "excuse"

IMO pl2 adds a lot more to rear sound - certainly with music/musical programs - as well as having stereo rears

I ran a test using an X Files video and PL2 really does sound like '5.1' and regular PL just sounds like 'stereo with a bit of surround sound' in comparison IMHO
IMO it would be worth upgrading if you would use it enough to warrant the costs

Thank you all for your responses. It looks like an early birthday present for me! Assuming, of course, I can find the Pioneer D2011 in stock somewhere, or failing that, the Denon 3803...:)

If when you get and setup your new receiver you don't like the sound of your stereo music don't forget you can do has Nobber22 said and connect your old stereo amp to the new reciever. Doing this will mean when you listen to your stereo music your old amp will take care of any processing. Also try lisening to your music in DPL 11, some really like it and some don't but its worth trying.

Good luck with your new toy:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom