1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Prologic II - Stupid Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TheSeer, May 28, 2003.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry folks, but here is what is a stupid question on DPLII - apologies for being so thick.................

If I buy a processor with DPLII, then does this only work with a digital input or can a stereo analogue input be output as DPLII to a 5.1 speaker system?

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Works with both.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Most people on this forum that have a DPL2 receiver watch their TV and listen to the sound as DPL2, as do I. This is obviously an analogue feed to the receiver and work great :smashin:

Mark.

4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    TheSeer
    My understanding is that the major point of Dolby Pro Logic 2 is to give surround sound to either 2 channel sources or enhance Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks, both to the extent that they sound as much as possible like Dolby Digital.

Seeing as most 2 channel and Pro Logic soundtracks are likely to come from analogue sources (i.e. through phonos from video or CD or tape or vinyl), then most certainly Dolby Pro Logic is most likely to be used with an analogue signal.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Certainly will work with an analogue signal, although it may sound marginally better with a digital input as (I think) PLII is a digital algorithm. An analogue input would therefore have to go through A/D conversion before being processed. If the DACs in your processor are significantly better than the DACs in the source, or if the ADCs in the processor aren't very good, then you'll lose a little bit of sound quality.

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As pointed out above it works with both, I can however vouch for the fact that a digital feed will sound better, I have one of the Sony sky boxes with optical digital out and can tell the difference between the two options.

7. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst on the subject of PLII can anyone confirm whether I should get any effects through my subwoofer when watching TV or videos. My sub is set up on the LFE channel only of my amp but never seems to be very active unless I am watching a DVD which obviously uses DD or DTS.

Cheers

8. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try running the centre speaker as "small".
    Running the centre as "small" brings the sub in with PL &PLII.

9. noop

noop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you change the center to small will it degrade the center channel ????

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    PL2 has no .1 LFE channel so if you have all your speakers set to Large, there will be no sub output. Changing the speakers to Small, bass to Sub will obviously give you subwoofer output, but it's only bass that is below the amps cutoff frequency (e.g 80hz).

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    No. It's probably the opposite for most centre speakers as they generally cannot handle low bass frequencies. Changing the setting to Small means routing the bass frequencies below a certain cutoff point to either the subwoofer, the front main pair or split between both sub and the front main pair.

Try different settings to see which sounds best to you. Generally ALL speakers set to Small and ALL bass to the Sub will give good results. This also lightens the load on the amp and speakers.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sub Question

PLII chipset does have the ability to separate low frequencies off and send them to a separate sub channel, It depends on wheatear the amp manufacturer uses this function. The LFE channel however is a dedicated track found on DVD's if you turn your main speakers to small the amp should re-direct the lower frequencies to the sub, assuming the frequencies are contained in the program material.

If you set All of your other speakers to small it means they are only presented with a limited band of sound which they are then better able to produce (the sound should be cleaner) the lower frequencies are directed to your sub or front speakers if you have no sub, which should be more capable. The direction of the sound in theory does not matter for low frequencies.