Dolby Pro Logic v Nicam

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jasloz, Apr 9, 2002.

1. jasloz

jasloz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVD Player with 5.1 output and recently a SHARP 66FW-54H with Dolby prologic.

4 speakers plus TV internal acting as central were connected to the TV output. I was receiving good (in my humble opinion) quality sound.
    The TV broke & is irrepairable but the extended warranty has offered me a SHARP 28HW53H with only Nicam sound.

1. Should I accept?
    2. What other hardware will I require to get Dolby surround from my DVD & Sky Satellite signals?
    3. Is there anything else I should consider?
    4. Is it all very confusing or is it me?

Thanks Jason.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    DON'T ACCEPT!

You should be entitled to an 'equivalent' model, the one they offered obviously is not.

Demand a TV with built in Dolby Pro-Logic, after all this was you bought (and paid extra for) in the first place, NOT a sub-standard model.

They're always trying to wriggle out of these warranty terms & conds, these shops.

Stand your ground m8.

3. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Too right - DONT accept.
    You can easily prove that most manufacturers charge more for the Dolby version of the same Nicam TV.

On the subject of Dolby Digital 5.1 on the cheap checkout the Novatech 5.1 speaker setup for £99 inc VAT at http://www2.novatech.co.uk/novatech/SpecPage.html?parameters=stockcode=NOV-HT510'

I replaced my old 4.1 Dolby Prologic amp and speaker setup (this was a cheap Sony Amp, Wharfdale centre and 4 Aristons) with the Novatech 5.1 and it definitely sounds better. I have only had it for 2 days yet but the main battle scene at the start of Gladiator sounded so much better. You could hear the bow, arrows, catapults, firebombs etc so much more clearly than my old 4.1 setup. Even the missus admitted it sounded better - she normally thinks all this is a waste of time.

Obviously, you need a DVD player with 5.1 decoder built in - as you say you have.

Alternatively, if they are prepared to give a Nicam TV plus say cash compensation then you may want to consider the VideoLogic DigiTheatre http://www.videologic.co.uk - the one with the Dolby Prologic and Digital decoder plus 5.1 speakers for £200 from www.qed-uk.com (check under Audio/Home Cinema).
    It has had some great reviews from both AV and PC magazines.

I nearly bought the Videologic but a recent Car upgrade and TV upgrade meant I had to compromise with the Novatechs. Dont watch that much normal TV anyway.