1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Pro-Logic, 5.1???? for a tv

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tobydog, May 24, 2003.

1. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Boys and Girls

Wrinkley here :( what are the differences in sound between a built in Dolby Pro-Logic with rear speakers and a 5.1 surround sound system?

I am not into buying/renting dvd films etc, but have liked the sound effects etc when watching a film on a Pro-logic tv.

I am also not that keen on widescreen,cant get used to short fat football players!

So being a bit stuck in my ways, I am thinking of getting a 28/29" 4.3 and a 5.1 with a built in decoder in the sub-woofer? as I can't see a 4.3 around with Dolby Pro-Logic, any suggestions, money is not plentifull so it's a budget set-up I am afraid.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    5.1 digital surround sound is only available from DVD and some Sky Movies if you subscribe to the Sky Plus package otherwise you are limited to Dolby Pro Logic.

You don't get short fat men on widescreen televisions if it is adjusted properly. It sounds to me like you are still watching in analogue but the best way forward (on a budget) is £99 Freeview box to obtain some digital channels in widescreen and a widescreen television.

The alternative is a widescreen television with built in freeview decoder and once you've got used to it you won't want to go back to a square picture.

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstly i know a guy who paid 1800 for the first 5.1 tv , the toshiba one and believe me , it was rubbish! i have the toshiba 33 inch 4.3 tv which is prehistoric by todays standards but its built in pro logic knocked its 5.1 sibling into to the ground. the 5.1 versions only redeeming feature was that it had split surrounds, the bass extension was non exsitent. i dont know if the technology for tvs with 5.1 has got better , but i would build a system up with seperates.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dolby pro logic 2 is the new standard and is much better for TV than PL1 dont bother with PL1 a waste of money, nicam stereo will sound better but PL2 is a different kettle of fish altogether.

5. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seperates, seperates, seperates....

I've got a 32" Philips Dolby Digital set and I tried to listen to the sound from it late one night having not used it for 3 months or more. I just couldn't do it, it sounded goddamn awful.

And when I bought this TV I thought it sounded really good!!!

6. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again.

Thanks for the advice I do have Sky Digital, I think I must have had it set to 4.3 when I was watching on a widescreen, as I noticed that on my little 14" portable when I changed the set up to 16.9 all the people looked tall!

Seperates? what exactly do I need? bearing in mind I am not bothered with dvd,any recommendations for a budget set-up

and one other query, flatscreen or curved?I have had two flat screen sets, a Panny PL1, superb picture,imo, but plagued with bending verticles at the sides of the screen,and a Philips 6826? better geometry but a grainy picture, I read on the TV forum the bendy veticles are an inherent problem with flatsceens, any opinions please?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The simplest way to get surround sound TV is a cheap AV amp and a speaker package. Depends how much you would be willing to spend. At least £200 whcih may seem like a lot until you compare it to the ££££'s spent on the visual side of things i would reconmend you look at the pioneer VSX-C100 av amp it has DPL2 as well as DD/DTS Which may be broadcast on sky in the future so worth having (currently only supported by Sky+ system). Add to this a set of subtle speakers and "Robert is your mothers brother", Have a look here and some speakers here Or try this retailer much better service but prices not quite as keen. I know you are notkeen on DVD but this package is very good value see HERE

8. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon.

Thanks for the advice, I was actually looking on the RS site for ideas before I saw your reply. I must admit the Package does seem to be a very good buy, but if I am not going to get into DVD's then I am obviously saving money on just the amp+speakers. I was also looking at the Yamaha RXV430 RDS and the Limit HC 40 speakers, I like the look and idea of the 4 slimline? floor standers, easier to move around ie no fixings.

Though I do already have a pair of Tangent Monitor 9 Floorstanders bi-wired with Cable-Talk 3.1?to an AMC 3050a amp, any thoughts?

Also ref the TV, Argos have an offer which expires today on a Hitachi C28WF5400N @ £379.99, a bargain price wise? but I don't know how it performs.

I don't want to spend more than around £450 on a TV, I have seen a few on Pricerunner in that bracket, as I mentioned in my first reply, the Panny PL1 had a superb picture but bendy verticles, I have'nt seen the new PS1 to see if that problem has been sorted. any suggestions?

Thanks again for your advice.

9. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The other difference that noone has mentioned which you may or may not be aware off is that the 5.1sytems provides a stereo rear surround signal ( ie different sounds can come from each rear speaker) and the Pro logic only provides a mono signal (the same sound from both speakers)

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tobydog has already said that he isn't interested in DVD so I can't see why he would be interested in 5.1 at all unless he was going to subscribe to Sky Plus.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    He is interested in PL/PL2 for TV but buying an amp without DD/DTS is a bad idea IMHO as might start broadcasting DD in a couple of years. The package from hifi bitz means £25 for DVD on top of the amp speakers, Sell it for £80 and get some money back, try it see if you like it, Give it away as a birthday pressie or similar.

TV wise best bet is get down to retailer and see what you like the look of. A TV~£600 at highstreet prices should be £450 or a little more online. Try looking at unbeatable and empire direct. When you have found the one you want use dealtime,kelkoo,pricerunner etc.
    Good idea to look at IDTV with digital tuner (and get one with Audio out to connect to the amp) As you have sky freeveiw is not a nesecity but it would allow you to record sky while watching one of the 30 freeveiw channels or vice versa.
    The cheapest way to go might be a Yamaha DSPE800 processor designed to fit into existing Hi fi setups. all you need buy is a centre and 2 surrounds (maybe a sub) these can be had fro $250 new online or £130 S/H Pro logic and DD/DTS (no PL2) but a cheap and high quality addition. one problem is it means that your hifi speaker will need to flank your TV and from the Audio>av converts i have met this is often difficult to acheive.

PS Tobydog where abouts in the UK are you???
    John lewis stores are good for TV as they offer 5 year warranty and will price match!

12. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Thanks again for the replies,

cdb, ref PL2, I understood that it supplies a stereo signal to the rears?

hornydragon, I live in the Medway,Kent area, I am aware of JL price promise and warranty, but some members have indicated that they will not pricematch online deals unless the retailer also has walk-in outlets.

I think I might go for the Hitachi at Argos as I e.mailed them a couple of weeks ago, and they confirmed that if I ordered a TV from them but did'nt like it, for what ever reason, they would collect it and refund as per their normal 16 day returns policy.

I have done a search for Hitachi tv's on here but nothing really on them, I 'll try a post on the TV forum, thanks again for the advice.

13. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again.

Just been on hifibitz, they have a Sony HT-K25 @£199.99, what do you think, seems to have what I need?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tobydog the HT-K25 does have what you need. as does the Sony HT-BE1 £219.99 I was about to suggest this one until i found oput you had a "proper" stereo setup. For TV only these would be fine try and have a listen to one or both of them a large dixons/currys type should have them or indeeda JL/department store. Hitatchi are budget TV's and while good at their price point they are not huge performers JL if they sold this model would price match Argos and for the 5yr warranty i would use them they also have a good return iot if your not happy policy. If you are happier buying at argos fine.
    PS which Hitachi model is it you are looking at?

15. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon.

Thanks again for your time, I also noted the HT- BE I.

I think I might be better going for a system seperate from my hi-fi set-up, at least I will know it will properly matched.

The Hitachi is the C28WF540N. as I mentioned before,today is the last day it's on offer, but I am not going to buy it just because it's a good price, I want a good a picture as possible, obviously the sound is not as important?. Thanks again.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I cant comment and cant find any online reveiws so it is upo to you mate please dont "miss a bargain or buy a DOG" on my account! all i9can say is maybe use the 16day policy and have the hassle!

17. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon.

I understand what you say, I'm in no rush, I've just been on Pricerunner and seen a Samsung WS 28M64NS it's another flat widescreen, there are three very favourable user reviews on it.

With the new models coming out I'm sure there will be plenty of bargains going on the previous models.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very true what sort of TV do you have currently as it might be worth getting the best out of the current set and adding a speaker system and wait for a TV you really like and have seen etc.
    PS save taking this any more off toic if you post what you have currently and how it is wired up in General hardware i will try and advise you on how to get the best from your current gear for as little cash as possible. Bear with me as i will be very busy til friday and i might not be able to reply untill the weekend.