1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby PLII - problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nijh, Jan 22, 2003.

1. nijh

nijh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Last night I plugged in my shiny new Yam 630 and settled down to watch James Bond in PLII and.....nothing :(

There was no sound from the rears at all. I switched it to one of the other DSP's and there was sound coming out then (not much but audible). I've done the set up with the test tone obviously and all is fine, the sound is all I expected from the digital side.

I thought that it was maybe cos the TV is plugged in to the amp via the 2ch analogue, but after doing a search on here I find that PLII should work fine with 2 channel (L&R) inputs. Does PLII require you to turn the rear levels up to max (and then down again when you switch back to digital) or am I forgetting to do something?

oh yeah - main=large, rear and centre=small bass=both

2. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLII only needs a stereo feed. That's how mine is set up with a Philips TV and Yamaha 430. I saw some of the Bond last night and I think there was at least some rear action. With some films it's very good with distinct left and right rear effects.

You shouldn't need to touch the levels.

Try it with some other material, e.g. Pro-Logic videos.

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    May of been a case of your TV not outputting a stereo signal for some reason,pro-logic needs stereo to work with.
    Is your reception ok ?If not,maybe your NICAM signal wasnt strong enough.

4. nijh

nijh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Reception was fine - it was pumping out through the fronts no problem. Got a feeling tho that I may have missed something on set up......maybe I should RTFM.

I'll try some decent tapes when I get in, but if anyones got any other suggestions I'll be pleased to read them.

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nijh

I have, in the last week, just set my yammy dsp 630 up and the speakers do need to be set up.

It's a different way to other amps I have set up but basically go into your speaker setup, it can all be done by the remote by the way, press 'amp' then 'test' set your main speakers to what you want as your reference level, I could'nt stand more than -25, you need to use the volume + - buttons or front dial to do this.

Then adjust the level of your centre, surround & sub to match the mains, using the L - & R + buttons on the remote. A bit of a clart on but u soon get used to it.

Hope it helps

7ThGuest :)

6. nijh

nijh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone.

I think (haven't had chance to fully test it yet) that I missed selecting the input mode for the TV input (and vcr come to that).

Looks like it was expecting a digital signal rather than an analogue one and thus didn't decode the info correctly. I did change it last night and there seemed to be some sound from the rears, but for one reason and another I couldn't whack the volume to really check it out.

Hopefully that'll sort it. As I said before 'RTFM'.

N