1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Headphone Question

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by sam3k, Jun 10, 2004.

1. sam3k

sam3k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to have the Dolby Headphone processing output via the tape out at line level, rather than the zone 2 output? Basically I'd like to use a headphone amp and having two volume controls wouldn't be the best.

Sam.

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Sam,

You need to switch to zone 2 to get Dolby Headphone modes as DH processing is not allowed on main zone outputs.

On the tape out you will find that the output gain will change depending on what post processing is being applied and in the case of Dolby Digital the dialog normalisation of the recording. This is because the tape out feed is pre-volume control chips, while zone 2 and main outputs are post volume control chips. The volume control chips are used not only for setting the user volume but also analog domain headroom compensations in the system (+a wealth of other trims).

I use a pair of Stax 007T electrostatic headphones on Zone2. I set the zone 2 initial volume in the menu up as +4dB to drive the energiser inputs properly and then use the the volume control on the Stax energiser to decide how quickly I become deaf!

3. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Steve,
    I am not sure if I understood it correctly. Does this apply for 5.1 AV32R DP too?
    In other words, on 5.1 AV32R DP where you do not have zone2 output you have to connect it somehow!

thanks

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On the 32DP it has the concept of a virtual zone 2, that is you can assign a pair of the primary zone outputs to act as the zone 2 feed when zone 2 is selected. As all those outputs have volume controls on them the output will be at the correct gain. If you take it from the tape out then the output gain won't be consistent from format to format as mentioned above. It's OK if you just listen to CD's and the like in direct mode though.

5. sam3k

sam3k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

I remember on the old forum people also recommended that you could just plug your headphones in directly to the analogue outs (w/o a headphone amp). Does anyone happen to know where I can get the appropriate adaptor cable from?