1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Headphone For Everyone

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by spenceruk, Jan 3, 2002.

1. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least for everyone who has the Region 1 version of Pearl Harbour!
    Forgive my ignorance but I had thought that Dolby Headphone required a special decoder but it is on this disc for everyone to hear. If you want to give it a try go into the audio options section in Set-Up, Choose Dolby Headphone, plug your headphones in and "Bob's Your Uncle"!
    What I really want to know now is whether it is really that simple to incorporate Dolby Headphone onto any disc or is it just a "limited edition" such that future releases with Dolby Headphone will require extra decoding (ie. more expense)!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I thought it needed a decoder as well:confused:

I´ll give it a go later, just one thing are you using the headphone socket on your amp or the dvd player?

3. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I too was extremely surprised that no decoder was needed but the implication in the audio set up instructions is that it isn't! I used the headphone socket on my amp and this bypasses the automatic audio switching of the amp. If your DVD player has a headphone socket of its own (mine doesn't) it should still work. I have tried it and it certainly seems to produce a surround effect. Anyone got any technical input as to what we are actually getting (eg. Dolby Digital 5.1 etc)?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Gave it a go last night, not bad at all!!

The dialog appears to be in the middle of your head, and the sense of things off to the sides and rear is pretty good, certainly better than I thought it would be.

It says its a special preview version, but I dont see why they cant incorporate it onto more discs. The new amps that have the Dolby Headphone Feature (Denon AVC11SR, i think has it??) should have the option to change settings, big room, small room etc.

I know its going to be incorporated into the upgrade for my Denon, so i´ll be looking forward to it a bit more now!!!

Nice one!!:)

5. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know which products it is going to be incorporated into? I suppose it is too much to ask that it will simply be incorporated into the disc itself in future - that isn't likely to make money I expect (though surely such discs could be increased in price slightly to account for it?)

6. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0