1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Headphone - 5.1 surround sound through normal headphones...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by pointon, Nov 14, 2001.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Credit to dwsadler1 for this info, as seen in the posting 'Dolby Headphone track on Pearl Harbour' in the DVD forum:

I just think this is something more people should know.

It seems Dolby has come up with a way to present 5.1 surround sound over 5 channels (bass goes through front two channels) through a normal set of headphones. Think of the possibilities and applications. Sounds dubious? If you don't believe us, check out: http://www.dolby.com/dolbyheadphone/

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    I'm afraid this is old news. There's a news item from July over at HCC. Still, it's interersting stuff, isn't it?

3. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember listening way back in the 70's to a demo of the JVC Binaural recording technique. This used two microphones positioned on a dummy head where the ears would be, placed in housings that imitated the shape of the human ear.

The demo (people wandering around the room talking from different positions) was quite stunning in its realism. I don't know if it's still in use by JVC or anyone else...maybe it went the way of Quadrophonic and other early 'surround sound' formats?

Check this out for more details: http://www.binaural.com/SunBinArticle.html

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's only old news for people who have never heard about it before, and I'm sure there are people like me on here who don't bother with magazines - I don't trust just one other person's opinion to agree with my own. I don't bother with the websites much either.

5. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you don't bother with web sites why bother posting or reading anything on this forum??:confused:

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I mean the Home Cinema Choice and the other websites.

Because I don't have an interest in reading what these and other publications have to say - magazine, web based or otherwise -doesn't mean I don't have an interest in the topics covered. It just means that I have no interest in being told by a minimal number of people what's 'good' and what is 'bad'. I prefer my own opinion, or at least the opinion of a suitable number of people who use equipment in the poistion of consumer, rather than reviewer.

I'm not critiscising the publications or anything that may be written within their pages or on their websites. Personally I prefer to trust my own judgment in the end.

Or is the forum exclusively for the followers of the magazines to the left?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bl00dy hell KAO, I remember that. As I recall it was an early form of cover mount that came with some hi-fi magazine way back in the mists of time. If I remember correctly, JVC released the dummy head/microphone thingy so that you could make your own binaural recordings. Only worked effectively through open backed headphones.

At the time I listened to the demo on a pair of Howland West (whatever happened to them?) headphones and, you are correct, the effect was pretty impressive. Shame it didn't take off.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry I just can't leave this alone.

KAO, if we were both listening to the same demo you'll recall that there was one part where the guy wandering around the room comes right up and whispers in your ear! WOW - FREAKY! Then he pulls away and walks around behind you still talking. I played the tape to some of my mates and it blew them away.

9. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes i remember this to,

like you say what ever happend to it,
    can remember listening to it a couple of times it sounded as if the person was standing right behind you whisspering in your ear, if i remember right it also sounded as though he was standing in a large room.

10. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pigeon, yes that's the one! :) The most impressive bits were a bloke and a woman in the room, wandering around. And like you say, at one point he whispers in your ear and makes you jump out of your skin. As I recall, there were guitar bits and other stuff on it as well.

I do have it on a CD at home somewhere (might well have been a cover mount, I don't recall where I got it from) so now my interest had been piqued I must dig it out and have another listen! Maybe I'll wear my flares too! :D

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    Well perhaps if you had bothered with the news - which is good quality IMO and written specifically for the websites and contains very little opinion and much fact - then you would have been more clued up on Dolby Headphone and perhaps lots more AV related subjects.
    Sounds to me like you have successfully argued my point for me.

12. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Stax used to distribute some binaural ('dummy head') recordings, and probably still do (through the Path Group, I think). I don't own any myself (though I do have Stax 'earspeakers') but have heard them demonstrated and they are amazing. Just done a quick search and the only thing I could find was

http://www.signals.demon.co.uk/STAX.htm

Not entirely unrelated, years ago I went to Alcatraz (as a tourist, obviously) and they give you a little Walkman with a pair of headphones - you listen to the commentary as you wander around. The sound effects were just fantastic - I'd always guessed that was a binaural recording.

Is there any kind of kit available as an add-on to try and recreate this effect?

13. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the stuff had to be recorded with the Binaural Dummy Head system in order to get it. As Pigeon said, JVC did sell a system for recording in this format, but other than the demo we've talked about I've never seen anything in that format.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KAO,

If you've got the demo on a cd and have the facility to burn a copy I'd be mighty interested in reacquainting myself with that demo. Let me know if its possible. If the sound file is not too big (or can be converted to mp3) you could e-mail it to me. I know I'm a cheeky bugger but I have to ask.

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

We've got a collection of Stax demo CD's at work which are a couple of years old. I suspect they are B-format recordings, if they are I will rip a few to mp3 if you want.

16. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pigeon, if I can find it I'll see what I can do! Mind you, it's been years since I played the CD and I've moved house about 8 times since then, including countries three times :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed the missus might know where all my 'junk' is!

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ReTrO,

That would be ace, see what you can do. Just thinking about the whole binaural thing, the effect was pretty bl00dy good considering it must have have been a late seventies/early eighties technology. I remember Marantz producing a 'surround sound' amp a few years later that the press raved over, compared to whats available today it was total ****e. But it got me thinking, if the same development time and funding had been applied to the binaural technology who knows where we might be today!

One things for sure, with only two speakers necessary to recreate the effect, this hobby would be a damn sight cheaper.

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In your opinion. Your opinion, as sound as it may be, isn't mine. This is one of the resounding pros of individualism. I choose not to read the information on these websites, but I have no critiscism of the news on this website. I simply prefer to obtain info from public forums. Personally I trust these much more than professionally acquired information and/or opinion.

So it's old news? It slipped me by first time. Am I not allowed to comment on it then when I hear about it? Of course I am. Or is a thread on old news not valued within these forums? If someone misses it first time around, is it a case of tough luck?

So you disagree with my approach completely. You chose differently. But I have made my own choice not to subscribe to the websites. I didn't start this thread to be critiscised for not reading HCC's news. I started it just so that maybe a few other people like me, who may have missed this, can read about it. If you know about it already, good for you. Share your opinions, please comment. But don't tell me what to do.

If the only comment anyone can add to a thread posted here is to simply say 'where've you been?', then it's not worth adding. Either share what you know or just move on.

We'll agree to differ.

19. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    From what I can remmember the STAX Cd's are doubles and come with nice light blue labling. They have a pic of a head with a pair of STAX electrostatics on.

We've also got a Sennheiser glass head, but you can't put mics in it which is a shame.

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    Pointon,
    my point was that you asked about it where a quick search would have shown you easily accessible information about it. The subject has already been discussed.
    Now for a reason I don't understand you choose not to use the free news service to find out information - that's fine.
    My job is to try and keep the forums clutter free which sometimes includes pruning repeated queries for information previously covered. In this case I think a new discussion on the subject is worth exploring since the technology is becoming available to more people.

21. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Without being a kiss-ass, let me say that you do a very good job keeping this place clutter free. I've been to many, many forums, most of which are nothing more than breeding grounds for spam and irrelevant verbal assaults.

But even though my posting may be old news to you and to many others, it isn't to me and perhaps isn't to a few more people. Therefore my posting is hardly clutter. Granted I posted it twice, but only because I felt it was relevant to both forums. I know one of those forums had just had a posting on this, but I wanted to put out a fresh, more obvious posting for those who, like me, hadn't heard of this before. If this is clutter, I won't do it again.

Usually, I don't get into arguements with forums administrators quite this quickly. Honest.

22. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've just got one of the STAX Audio CD's home. We had 4 at work but they were all the same.

1 The Space-Sound-CD
    Dummy Head Recording

Will post more info later with pics, and maybe an mp3 of the first demo track (there are 21 in all).

CD serial no. AXCD 91101

PS would Spectre and Pionton please stop arguing, this is a more interesting thread without the boring posts.

23. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    cover pic

Attached Files:

24. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Heated discussion... not arguing.

25. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    So long as you record it in B-format I don't mind.

:)

26. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Retro, that's the one I have! I thought it was a JVC recording but it obviously was a Stax...nice one. I wish I could find my copy now!
    :(

27. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre said "I'm afraid this is old news."

Dolby Headphone itself is old news. We have known it has been coming for some time.
    The fact that it has arrived as a separate track on a DVD (Pearl Harbor) is new news!

28. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    In the proper Dolby Headphone – what's going to happen with matrix and discreet ES/EX channel? If it appears in between the 2 rears it will appear in the back if the head once again, which i thought they were trying to avoid.
    Mark

29. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Getting back to the Dolby Headphone thing, am I right in thinking there aren't any products incorporating the technology available in the UK yet? Is it likely that there'll be some kind of gadget that will be able to sit between the headphones and the amp to create the effect?

30. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone wanting to know more about Dolby Headphone as a genuine technological leap would be well advised to check out the Audio Technology forum at www.Headwize.com.
    There the issue attracts genuine discussion without being diluted by heated discussion and without being dismissed as "old news".