• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dolby glasses free 3D is coming

Parry

Distinguished Member
Dolby 3D

YES finally the next evolution in display technology is coming, I would expect this to be released in time for James cameron’s avatar part 2 .

next010

Distinguished Member
I don't think this is new unless I'm missing something, that page has been around a while. Not sure what the Dolby tech is doing but Philips is their partner.

Was any big TV maker talking about glasses free 3D at CES ?, didn't see any talk but some 3D companies that can make use of the extra pixels of 8K to generate a 3D light field effect were there like Ultra D. It would actually give a reason to buy 8K if it could do decent 3D, allegedly 6-8K pixels are required to generate a good 3D light field image.

Parry

Distinguished Member
I don't think this is new unless I'm missing something, that page has been around a while. Not sure what the Dolby tech is doing but Philips is their partner.

Was any big TV maker talking about glasses free 3D at CES ?, didn't see any talk but some 3D companies that can make use of the extra pixels of 8K to generate a 3D light field effect were there like Ultra D. It would actually give a reason to buy 8K if it could do decent 3D, allegedly 6-8K pixels are required to generate a good 3D light field image.
Yes it’s been talked about since 2013 but as a 4K panel is needed for Dolby 3D to work the costs back then were astronomical and not feasible to the masses .
Watch this space because I would bet diamonds that when Avatar 2 is released glasses free 3D TVs will be on sale .

Over by there

My TV is 3D, last of the LG I think 2015? I would like to see more content but doubt it and probably need to get a new TV/Dolby decoder for this as will a lot of people.

But the main thrust I see now is for 4k and possibly 8K. Not just in the shops, the secret is often in the stuff that makes and moves the pictures.

There have been glasses free 3D TV's before this from Dolby. Chatting to one pro that went to IBC one year and reckoned it was pin sharp in 1080p and 3D. Before 2013 for certain.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom