1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby EX How Good ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stefinch, Apr 10, 2001.

1. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give any reviews or info on dolby EX amps is it worth the upgrade? how good is it compared to dolby digital? I have a yamaha dsp A595a and wonder if it's worth changing just yet. Thanks.......steve. stefinch@bigfoot.com

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not a direct answer to your question but i have been pondering the same thoughts myself for a while now, the software is slowly improving but is still a bit thin on the ground, i have decided to wait untill at least DPL2 is included in my upgrade choice. :)

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Imagine 360° sound and not just front and rear and that goes some way to describing it. I must admit that before I bought the amp I thought it might just be a gimmick but I would not be without the rear channels now and I actively source 6.1 material. When the speakers are placed correctly, if you watch a dts 6.1 discreet DVD like the region 1 pressing of 'The Haunting' (which is considered a bit of a reference disc among 6.1ers because of it's excellent 6.1 mix) there is an ambience that seems to extend far further than the walls of your room.

Mark B
    PS (my amp is the Denon AVC-A1SE)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have to agree with MarkB above, the difference (on certain discs!) is great, you get a much better soundfield, with regards to panning effects & things that come up behind you, as mentioned above The Haunting is excellent(6.1 discreet). Fight Club is another good one with pipes dripping around you etc etc
    If youre thinking of upgrading its definitely worth considering an amp/reciever with these features.
    cheers
    jase
    (I have the Denon AVR3801)

5. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need a big room to notice the difference with EX

6. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE room size:

I have a small room and have a 7.1 (ha ha 6.1) capable amplifier. I can honestly say you do notice the difference. The room is long width ways, meaning front to rear speaker distance is at maximum 12 ft ish. This means that not much of the tremedous power of the amp is used, but the rear soundfield is shortened and narrowed. To overcome this, speakers fire off axis several feet above the listening position, the rear backs being directly behind the listeners, forward facing at a slight forward pitch. This generates lovely overhead effects.
    Having the rears to the sides generates an all encompassing side and front soundstage, but you need to have the rear backs to fill the gaps and also offer the opportunity for overhead effects, such as those on Fight Club, or the lamppost falling in Toy Story 2 (which appears to be a THX EX soundtrack on the R2 release.)
    Don't be put off by having a smaller room, just take care in choosing your speakers and more importantly in the placement of them to generate an enjoyable and accurate soundfield.

Cheers, Matt

7. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And wil there be any diffrence between DTS discrete and Matrixed?
    Well becaus Discrete is only flaged as a digital extra channel??

Greetings Ruwan :)

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use 6.1 / 7.1 all the time even if the software is only 5.1 encoded on the disc. It always brings benefits IMHO. On 5.1 is worthwhile but not huge. On proper Ex / Es software it can
    very substantial.

How long before someone launches a 7.1 format? It must be soon, very soon

Will your receiver / planned purchase be able to cope?

Personally I prefer 5.1 done well, rather than 6.1 done poorly (integrated receiver etc). It sounds better. 6.1 /7.1 done well is awesome however.

My advice would be to make sure 5.1 is done well first before you start thinking about 6.1 / 7.1. (It starts to get expensive!)

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes I use 6.1/7.1 all the time too. My living room isn't that big really. It's above average I suppose but not massive.
    I believe that the DTS Digital Surround format is able to store 8 discreet channels at its current specification. The new Philips D8 Digital Audio format that is going to be used in digital cinemas is 8 channel, although I don't know if the 8th channel is an effects channel or another sub channel. Perhaps someone could give more info/correct that statement.

Mark