1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dolby ex and dts es

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by majortrip, Jan 7, 2003.

1. majortrip

majortrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to all just got me a sony 1080 amp and i have been puzzled about this dts es and ex format on dvd 's so i went and got me another mission 77ds speakers for the 6.1 sound formats.. I don't know if it's this amp or it is the same on all amps with 6.1 or 7.1 is that when setup correct with dvd essentials etc i can hardly here the back speaker when in the 6.1 mode in both formats but when i put amp back to 5.1 the sound's better weird huh ....my room size is 24 feet long and 11 feet wide the one back speaker is high the wall behind me from that speaker to my back is about 10 feet ish the side speakers are about 5 feet from me and front speakers are 12 feet i have no alcoves coz chimleys have been knock down so can any one confirm if these sound formats r the same on there system's if it's not would you say my amp is not working how it sould...

PS ...i set up the back surrond speaker by unconecting the left rear surround to the back speaker so volume is same as all even when the voice goes around the room from dvd essentials help would be brill please coz new to all this

2. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Majortrip (quite possibly :D)

I am just getting into 6.1 etc myself and have been following several threads re setup on these amps so I may be wrong but I have noticed that most of these amps NEED to be told there is another speaker/s attached during setup.

I will be doing the same with my new amp l8r today so if I come across anything else I will let u know.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are very few Dolby EX discs that are flagged - JP3, Atlantis (Disney) spring to mind. These will auto switch your surround back channel on. If the film is made in EX but the signal isn't flagged, you need to manually switch the SB channel on.
    DTS ES is another matter - nearly all ES discs are flagged I think and will auto switch your amp for you....

Rule of thumb is leave it on all the time, you never know, you might like it.....:eek:

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    majortrip, which disks have you tried - somebody is sure to have tried them at some time.

Certainly on my system the centre rear gives as much voulme (if not more) as the other rears.

Disks I have tried that sound good are:
    FOTR EE
    Star Wars Ep 1 & 2
    Rush hour 2
    JP3
    Blade 2

Hope that helps

5. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    These will sound good as they are all EX/ES encoded films! (Rush Hour 2 was remixed into DD EX and DTS-ES Discrete for home release but was not EX for its theatrical release.)

See here, here, here, and here for some more EX/ES encoded films.

I don't bother with the flagging and just manually engage it when I know the content is EX encoded.