1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jacko, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Jacko

Jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, was wondering if it is possible to get the Dolby digital working by using the pro-logic thru my tv and driving the other speakers with a seperate amplifier from the dvd. Is it possible and if so how? Go easy on me please,as I'm new to dvd.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If your DVD has a built-in decoder (also called 5.1 output) you could run the front outs to the TV (stereo in) and the other channels to seperate amplifiers (3 channels needed) though volume control would become a kind of problem here.

I rekon you rather stick to DPL (driven from the TV) until you decide to buy an AV amplifier (DD/DTS).

3. Jacko

Jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, think your right about using tv dpl for now, but think I'll want to get the most of DVD and my plastic will pay for amp etc. Just 1 more thing, I assume the audio comes in via scart and the tv decodes the signal ?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The connection depends on your DVD player and TV:

If the TV has Scart only and the DVD has Scart, too, a Scart lead would be needed.

If the TV has analog stereo in (RCA/phono connectors) you can connect the DVD's stereo out to those.

If the DVD does not have Scart use a stereo to Scart adapter cable.

And yes, the TV will do the DPL decoding. If the DVD does not have a DPL soundtrack you may activate the downmix function of the DVD player, ie Dolby Digital 5.1 will be downmixed to stereo or DPL even and outputted analog (which the TV will then receive and decode).