Dolby digital vs DTS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gazzaraki, Dec 30, 2006.

1. gazzaraki

gazzaraki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am presently doing a trial with a Marantz SR7500 and can't believe the difference between DD and DTS.Have gone through the auto calibration with no problems.I think i have done everything right.Have found the eagles(hell freezes over the most impressive DTS with the surrounds)Any thoughts on improving my dolby digital sound with this reciever.Not running a sub.

Sony DVP-S725d,Marantz SR7500,B&W220i and Wharfdale surrounds.
    By the way...the Marantz has altered the centre speaker from small to large.Is this ok,considering it's a small centre speaker.Any advice appreciated.

2. sunnyb4u

sunnyb4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there mate

i love dolby digital especially on xbox 360 games erm as far as i know

dts runs at a higher bit rate with more channels thus increasing sound quality

i have actually heard both dd and dts on my amp using the same copy of lord of the rings and dts wins hands down all the time

i believe its only time before dts will rule dd

it reminds me of the battle between intel and amd where dts is the underdog but it sounds so much better

but normally i am very pleased with dolby digital

i just use dolby digital for games since they are only programmed in dd and dts for movies

3. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Usually you just need to turn the volume up a bit for DD to sound the same as DTS.

And if you speaker can't deal with low frequencies (i.e. it isn't full range) it should be set to small i think.

4. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +653
    I'm no expert but I have to disagree with that. I think there's a bit more to it than increased volume!

5. BazMan

BazMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can, open, worms, everywhere...

6. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Carry out a search here using dolby digital dts as the keywords and you may be supprised to find out that this isn't the first thread here about the subject...in the meantime, have a look at this to see what the differences actually are...

7. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    DTS to DD? DTS wins everytime IMO. The only problem in this country appears to be that the DVD companies want to put 250 languages (OK I exagerate - just) onto region 2 discs, to satisfy the european market. As DTS uses a lot more disc space than DD, it gets left off in favour of all the languages. Go for American Region 1 disc - they seem to have a lot more DVD's with the DTS soundtrack on and maybe only two languages, normally English and French (ie predominantly North American languages). I bought the Region 1 version of Stealth, ok not a great film but the DTS soundtrack is just incredible. Make sure your player can play region 1 though before you purchase.

8. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Good thread...interesting POVs :thumbsup: :smashin:

9. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, on my all in one system (Sony DAVS800) i thought DTS sounded much better, but on my separates, Yamaha RX-V1600 and Kef 2005.2s both sound pretty similar. So now when i go back to my DAVS800 i actually think it just sounds louder in DTS (plus maybe a bit more bass). But there are technical differences aswell and the data rate is higher for DTS i think.

Given the option i tend to use DTS though.

What do people think of Pro Logic 2 vs DTS Neo6?

10. sunnyb4u

sunnyb4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i prefere dts neo since i use it on ym pc sound card the xfi elite pro for music it sounds brill

11. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Snakes on a plane on the 360 through DD tonight sounded rubbish, 20 mins into the film i found out the menu had DTS and it is so much better - didn't even know the 360 could play DTS

12. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    DTS uses less compression and a higher bitrate than does Dolby Digital so the resulting sound is slightly closer to the original master. It has better dynamics, seperation and range and is certainly not just 'louder'.
    If this is the case, then the new HD audio formats such as Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio uses next to no compression at all so should be deafening!!! :rolleyes:

13. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a can of worms, isn't it. I agree with the sentiments in this thread re DTS vs. DD in general, but on many films it is hard to tell much difference - it needs a decent audio mix to start with. The old "turn it up a bit" for DD works most of the time - it's simply the larger dynamic range of DTS and viewers tend to want more loud than soft, so skewing opinions.

Back to the Region 1 for DTS thing; You then trade off the 576 lines of PAL for the 480 of NTSC. My favorite compromise is to look for Australian PAL discs which tend to have more DTS as they don't have the same requirements for large sets of languages. As am example, I just got the Region 4 "special" edition of Event Horizon which is PAL (576 lines of video) with a DTS sound track (but not yet had time to watch!).

So - your trade off is audio against video. We all, of course, want both to be best...

14. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's actually a reference to the fact that DD has the dialog norm metadata whereas DTS doesn't, which does have the effect that if they are encoded from identical masters, and the dialog norm parameter has been sensibly set, then the DTS will sound louder then the DD at the same nominal volume level.

15. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I did say "not just louder". I agree that DTS is usually louder than DD at any given volume setting, but you can have a small radio set 'louder' than a 1000 watt amp but does it sound better? Not likely. 'Louder' is over-simplifying the difference a good DTS soundtrack can have over its DD equivalent. Stearing of effects is better, dynamics is better (not just volume, but the weight behind that volume) seperation is better with DTS and of course bass depth.

Like I said, are you claiming that the latest HD audio formats are just 'louder' than what we have now?

Thought not!

16. dor146

dor146

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on the DVD source. I wasn't able to tell the difference with the Bourne Identity. Probably the same mix.

But with Infernal Affairs there was a greater dynamic range. The DD mix was far less dramatic - I guess this is good for people using their tv speakers.