Dolby Digital using XBOX 360 HD DVD Drive

C

c.standinguk

Hi, wonder if anyone has any idea's on this one!

I have my Xbox 360 with HD player, hooked up to tv via component cable. I also have an opital cable linked to my amplifier for Dolby Digital. Whenever i use the Xbox 360 dash, or play a game it show's up digital 5.1 no problem on my amp. But when I play HD-DVD it's not transmitting anything more that Dolby Pro-Logic from what I gather.

Am I doing anything wrong ? I have been into the settings on the 360 and enable dolby digital.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Press X when playing a HD-DVD, select advanced and then Digital Audio Settings and you can choose whether to output HD-DVD audio as DD, DTS or WMA Pro. I had the same problem , the audio settings for HD-DVD audio are seperate to the console audio settings hence the confusion.

Cheers
Andy

No probs, don't forget to also set it to full dynamic range (can't remember what the option is called exactly).

No probs, don't forget to also set it to full dynamic range (can't remember what the option is called exactly).

What difference does the dynamic range make then?, as i saw that there but just left it alone

when the dynamic range is compressed it means that the difference between the lowest volume and the highest volume will be reduced - Its basically the equivalent of setting "night mode" to "on" in your receiver settings.

Try watching a loud scene with dynamic range compression on and it will be dull and lifeless and lack any sort of "boom"....

Get rid!!!!

Just got mine, can somebody tell me where to find this setting please as mine sounds really flat?

Thanks,
Nick.

Well this old thread confirms what I thought and it is the X button that brings that menu up, at least it did on mine. You sure it doesn't do anything when you press X? On the controller not the remote (not that it should make any difference)

Try watching a loud scene with dynamic range compression on and it will be dull and lifeless and lack any sort of "boom"....

Get rid!!!!

so are we saying keep the dynamic or lose it ? :)

still tweaking mine at the moment, but the problem i have at the minute is the background sound is drowning the centre speaker

Onkyo 605/Kefs 3005

You need dynamic range control set to off. As for the centre speaker issue, can't you just increase the volume of the centre using your amp?

You need dynamic range control set to off. As for the centre speaker issue, can't you just increase the volume of the centre using your amp?

I can do that with Onkyo 674. You can increase/decrease the volume of each speaker individually.

I'm sure you must be able to do that on the 605.

Hi Andy, you were right it was the X button but you have to use a controller and not the remote control.

Cheers,

Nick.

I was just going to ask about this, HD-DVD audio through my 360 currently sounds RUBBISH (dull and lifeless)! I'm off to try out the x button..

Found it via pressing 'start' and 'advanced' :). Does the 360 not switch between DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 as it pleases? I can't tick multiple boxes..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom