1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital-Surround EX v THX Surround EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jrpavel, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between these two modes? Some web refs say that they are the same. The THX site says

So should The Phantom Menace be played in THX or Dolby EX modes (eg, on a Yamaha 2400)?

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Technically, Dolby EX is a superior mode as it uses ProLogic II to extrapolate the rear centre. THX Surround EX uses good old Pro Logic to do the same. Of course using DD-EX you don't get the other benefits of THX. It's really your call.

Russell

3. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Helpful to have such a straighforward explanation!

Supplementary: Will these other benefits not already been applied to DVDs (unless they have a separate THX setting such as T2)?

4. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In short, no. THX is a post-decoding process.There is lots of info on THX processing so I won't repeat it all again. Try searches for THX on this forum and the net.

I find that THX reduces the treble too much for my liking unless the sound level is relatively high. Somebody compared it to throwing a blanket over each speaker which, at moderate volumes, I would agree with. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

In any event, a number of DD EX titles also have a DTS ES option which some people would always select anyway. I hope this doesn't start another DD/DTS war!

5. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so all the re-equalisation and bass/treble limiting has not been pre-applied.

Why can TX processing not be applied to DTS-ES in the same way that it can be applied to Dolby Digital EX? (In fact I think that my receiver can apply THX to most decoders from Dolby Pro Logic up.)

6. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    THX processing can be applied to DTS-ES.

Some early receivers only had THX Surround EX to decode a DD EX encoded DVD. THX had an exclusive licence to decode this format. When the licence expired, THX Surround EX was no longer the only way of decoding and pure DD EX decoders officially appeared. If a receiver has DD EX and THX Surround EX then you have a choice of whether to engage the THX processing or not.