Dolby Digital Surround EX - is it dead in the water...?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't quite sure exactly where to post this...as it covers movies in general, thought the movies & TV section would be good. Mods, if it's wrong, please move to the correct section...

Now, on to the topic. As we know, Dolby Digital Surround EX all started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away with SW EP1. Quickly moved into the home, albeit in the guise of THX Surround EX.
    Now, have directors been quick to embrace this "new" format...well no, they haven't. One of the main questions over in the amp's or speakers section is "should I upgrade to 6.1/7.1?" People are usually told that it is...but is it really?
    Some movies sound good with the surround back channels left on all the time, and the pseudo rear channels really open up the stage. However, some sound terrible.
    Here's waht I mean when I say dead in the water in the title of this thread...look here . That's the list of films being released with Dolby Digital soundtracks over maybe the next 6 months. There must be 100 films listed there...3 have surround EX tracks. And here is listed the movies previously released with EX tracks. In 6 years, probably less than 100 movies released in the English language with the matrix back channel...

However, PLIIx may throw another fighter into the ring, again it's just "psedeu" effects. Basically, if it wasn't mixed by Gary Rydstrom, it probably ain't gonna be in EX...

And before the dts fanboys jump in here saying "we've got discrete es...much better than matrix" etc....31 discs in the English language since the technology began...

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I think I agree with you to be honest. I don't own one disc that has ddex flagged, and only 2 or 3 with dtses flagged.

I think it's because as home cinema is exploding, most people buying hc are of the mind that £200 for a receiver and 5 speakers and a sub is a bit excessive. The sort of people that probably get their hc with their tv, with each speaker struggling to reach 15w per channel.

There simply isn't a big enough market for 6.1 or 7.1, and at the same time the 5.1 market just gets bigger and bigger

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Games Guru agreeing with Army Bloke!!! It's because I brought that game of you isn't it... ;) :D

Not all movies made in EX are flagged. All of those movies made in EX listed in the links above WILL have the EX soundtrack on them - you just have to engage the SB channel youreself.
    Minority Report R2 is not flagged EX or ES - but the R1 version is - flagged on both, though only ES matrix.
    One film that supprised me as being made with extended sound was X Men...and X Men 2 isn't. Normally, a director will try it and either like it or lose it. Seems Bryan Singer didn't like it.
    All the Pixar films from Toy Story 2 are in EX/ES - obviously a studio led thing - though The Incredibles isn't (Pixar have recently split from Disney...)
    And Peter Jackson and George Lucas seem to love the extra channel - every movie they have made since it's introduction has had the extra channel...

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    I look at it this way.
    The vast majority of AV amps now carry EX decoding and it isn't that common for units to "de list" a function they have started to carry- especially as both Dolby and DTS are moving to licensce agreements where you pay a flat fee to use all of the available decoding formats. However currently most of the population is struggling to come to terms with 5 speakers- let alone more. To my knowledge every "home cinema in a box" is 5.1 and these are the lions share of multichannel sales. Only when (if?) there is a consensus move towards 6/7 channel sales at the lowest level will there be any lasting point in extended surround. Any person that feels we are a sizable enough chunk of the population to affect DVD content is delusional. Ask "the man on the street" whether he'd rather have 6 channels or a multiple angle option that permanantly tracks Camaron Diaz's ass in Charlie's Angels Full throttle, I suspect he'll choose the latter.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point here is not directly aimed at the home...my point is the lack of films being made with extended surround full stop. The average cinema goer really dosen't know whether the speakers at the back of the auditorium are configured for surround back L/R or are part of the surround L/R array. The fact is, it seems Hollywood hasn't embraced the technology.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What about DTS? We've got discrete es...much better than matrix

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lossless DTS sound as is being introduced to Cinemas will be much better than any Discrete format and heralds the way ahead for future home sound formats.