Dolby Digital speaker set

fish99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for a cheap Dolby Digital speaker set to go with a new widescreen tv I'm buying. I really can't afford a seperate receiver and speakers, plus I don't have any room under my tv for another box, so I'm looking into buying an all-in-one solution.

I'm looking mainly at speaker sets with a AC3 decoder built into the woofer.

The system I'm favouring at the moment is the Acoustic Solutions DS 1033 ( http://www.acousticsolutions.net/product.asp?ID=56 ), or maybe the Sony HT-BE1, which both fit the bill nicely.

Also the speakers are for a small to medium sized room, and will be used at modest volume levels.

So, my first question. Do Dolby Digital system also decode Pro-Logic signals? I would like to get surround sound from live football and movies on Sky Digital, but the DS1033 doesn't mention pro-logic or dolby surround decoding, only dolby digital.

Second question, is it a mistake to get a set without DTS and without Pro-Logic II? The Sony set has both, the Acoustic Solutions set has neither.

Last question, has anyone used either of these speaker sets and if so would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Simon.

bump

Since it doesn't look like anyone knows about these specific speaker sets does anyone know the answer as to whether all Dolby Digital decoders also deocde Dolby Pro-Logic and Dolby Surround signals?

Cheers :)

I have had a quick look at the instruction manual on the Acoustic Solutions website and it does decode Dolby Pro Logic so you are OK for your footie from Sky.

It is nice to have DTS and Pro Logic 2 but not necessary. At that sort of price range the quality of sound from Dolby Digital and Pro Logic is far more important than extras which are nice but not necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom