1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital Source Material On Pro Logic Hardware?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Crocodile, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    This may very well be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway: :D

What happens when Dolby Digital encoded DVDs are fed through a Pro Logic decoder? Is the DD encoding backwards compatible with Pro Logic hardware?

2. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Not a lot...

A pro logic amp will not have a digital input, so will be unable to receive dolby digital signals.

All DVD's also have a stereo soundtrack. Feeding that to your pro logic amp is the only way forward here that I can think of.

Gary

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What Gary_W said. However also note that some DVD player can downmix Dolby Digital to Pro-Logic, thus you can have surround sound even without a digital connection!

4. Faar

Faar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If one is using a PC with windows media player for example to playback the DVD, it's possible to install and use the AC3Filter decoder to play back the dolby digital sound. There is an option in the configuration window to downmix dolby digital to both dolby prologic and prologic 2.

The AC3Filter is freeware, made by Vigovsky Alexander, and it works quite well from what I've tried, even though I never tested the prologic downmixing feature.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    If the prologic amp has 5.1 analogue inputs and the DVD player has the 5.1 outputs then you can let the player do the Dolby Digital decoding and feed the analogue signals into the amp and still get true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround.

Mark.