Dolby Digital setting grayed out.

Chrissxuk

Novice Member
I have an 8 series Samsung UHD TV connected to a Denon AVR-X1600H receiver by ARC (HDMI). When I look at the audio settings on the TV the output audio is set to PCM and the options for Dolby Digital are greyed out. It says these options are only available via ARC (HDMI) for supported devices but as I said previously it is connected that way. Am I misunderstanding something?

Attachments

• 20210621_131606.jpg
    20210621_131606.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 44

chopples

Distinguished Member
I have an 8 series Samsung UHD TV connected to a Denon AVR-X1600H receiver by ARC (HDMI). When I look at the audio settings on the TV the output audio is set to PCM and the options for Dolby Digital are greyed out. It says these options are only available via ARC (HDMI) for supported devices but as I said previously it is connected that way. Am I misunderstanding something?

Hi

those options are usually only selectable if the TV is actually playing content with a DD signal. I would try playing something which is known to contain DD and whilst running check it again.

Upvote 0

Chrissxuk

Novice Member
Hi

those options are usually only selectable if the TV is actually playing content with a DD signal. I would try playing something which is known to contain DD and whilst running check it again.
Thank you for your reply.

This is what I tried. I opened my Prime Video app on the TV and played a show which I know is Dolby Atmos and while this was playing I checked the audio settings. It said Dolby Digital, but I hadn't changed that so it must have done it automatically. I tried to change to Dolby Digital + but got the message again that it was unavailable .... but after clearing the message it did change to Dolby Digital +, rather odd that. Also rather odd the front of my AV receiver displayed Dolby Atmos so am I getting Atmos as that wasn't even an option in the settings?

So I've moved on with your help so thank you. Still a bit confused though.

Upvote 0

chopples

Distinguished Member
Also rather odd the front of my AV receiver displayed Dolby Atmos so am I getting Atmos as that wasn't even an option in the settings?

Thats correct, Amazon sends its lossy atmos within a Dolby Digital+ container, The TV is not aware what's held within the container and will just pass it onto the receiver :smashin:

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom