dolby digital question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jubbly, Jul 16, 2001.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my tos dvd player hooked up to my tosh dolby digital tv with component video cables for the picture and a digital co-axial cable for the dolby digital sound.
    Obviously when i play a dolby digital 5.1 dvd the tv picks up the signal and plays it automatically through my tv without me having to change anything in the sound options menu on my tv and all i have to do is press a button on my tv and it comes up with 3/2 on my tv to tell me that it is a dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack.
    My question is if i play a dvd which only has dolby pro logic or stereo or mono do i have to do anything differently or will it do the same and pick it up automatically so that i can just press the button again or do i have to go into the sound menu and chose the correct sound format depending on what it says on the dvd.
    Will it still play through my tv using the same digital co-axial.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Tv should just pick up the signal like it does with 5.1. the only way to find out is to try it and see, you must have some pro-logic material on a DVD somewhere.

Enjoy!

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It should work via the same digital cable as most DVDs will contain the DPL, stereo or mono track as Dolby Digital track (2.0 or 1.0 respectively).

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jubbly

If it's not a 5.1 DVD it will pick up whatever it is automatically but the difference is that if you press "the button" on your tv remote it will give you a choice of various options available, unlike 5.1 disks where you get 3/2 and no options.

e.g. Blair Witch DVD isn't 5.1 so when you play it, if I remember right, it picks up Dolby Dig (2/0) rather than DD5.1 (3/2) but then gives you an option for Pro-logic and I think Dolby 3. You then choose which sounds best.

There's a bit in the TVs manual that tells you the meaning of the 2/0, 3/2 etc etc.

Cheers
    OG

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If Blair Witch is not 5.1 of course it cannot pick up a 5.1 track!? :confused:

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner "If Blair Witch is not 5.1 of course it cannot pick up a 5.1 track!? " That's what I'm saying!! Basically the TV automatically detects the sound track but if it's not a 5.1 track it gives you various sound options (but obviously not a 5.1 option). If it is a 5.1 track it detects it and doesn't give you any options - it's 5.1 or nothing!

Perhaps I haven't been too clear in what I'm trying to say but I have the same TV and DVD as Jubbly so I know what I mean ;)

Cheers
    OG