1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DJSINGH, Jul 15, 2002.

1. DJSINGH

DJSINGH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a philips 28PW9616 TV and I would like to experience dolby digital sound with this TV.
    I have got a PS2 which plays DVDs and has an Fibre optic output. I bought a fibre optic cable which fits into the back of the PS2 but does not fit in the "Digital Audio In" socket in the back of the TV.
    Is there some adapter that could attach to the end of my fibre optic cable so that it could fit into the "Digital Audio In" socket, enabling me to experience Dolby digital sound?
    If not could you let me know which DVD player I need and which cable I need (which will fit into the digital output of the TV) so that I may experience dolby digital sound with my TV.

Thanks

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Philips only accepts co-axial digital input, so unfortunately your PS2 can't be hooked up to the built in Dolby Decoder. There are converters available but they run into hundreds of pounds and aren't really worth it. As for the DVD player see my other post .

Good luck!

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  4. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :blush: Wow! I had no idea they'd got so cheap! Might get one for me!

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I use the same adapter as shown on the Lektropacks site (mine was supplied by Hama) together with my 32PW9616 and it works great with both 44.1kHz PCM and AC-3 signals, both with the PS2 and Xbox.

You have to make sure it comes with a power adapter though. The one I have did not, and has an unusual power input: 6V DC, >300mA, non-stabilized supply, 2.5mm (?) plug with positive inner pole. I had to buy a power adapter directly from an electronic parts supplier along with a separate adapter plug.

Universal adapters may pose a problem as the supply should be non-stabilized or it might cause problems for the converter as power use varies during operation. The universal adapters I found were all stabilized.

If the digital converter does not come with a power adapter, check before you go in search for an adapter to see if it has the same power input as I mentioned.