Dolby Digital Problem - Advise Please.

gjp

Hi.

I have noticed the following DD problem within the last week.

Programmes that have Dolby Digital on Sky are only coming through the centre channel on my amp, this includes England V Germany on Wednesday. I have rebooted the box etc and checked my cables. All other non DD channels are fine. (also films downloaded from anytime are fine with DD). I would be grateful if someone could advise me on what could be causing this fault before I call Sky. I thought it was my amp at first but I now think it could be the sky box.

Thanks.

mkcurtis

Well, a number of us had issues with England Germany game in DD. My amp claimed it was DD but I only get stereo when I watched it on BBC HD. The banner on Sky never actually claimed it was DD anyway so the England game might not be a good example of your problem.

First thing to check is that you have selected Dolby Digital on the Sound Settings on the Sky box. It could be set to Stereo which could be confusing the signal your amp is receiving and decoding.

Do you have a scart cable or any phono plugs also in the sky box which is outputting sound in preference to the optical cable?

However if Anytime movies are fine in DD it might not be that. Sounds like a very odd issue.

gjp

Thanks,

I have reset the box, checked that I am set to DD (I even turned this settings off and back on again). I have sky connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and sky connected to my amp with an optical cable. I know I think it is very strange every channel with DD only comes from my amp's centre speaker, but Pirates from anytime is in full dolby. Also DVD played through my xbox 360 are fine via the amp. I thought it came be the live feed, so I paused the football on Wednesday and still no joy. I will do a few more tests over the weeekend and report back. I use the amp all the time with my TV speakers turned off so it is very annoying, but has stated all other channels via pro logic surround are fine.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Well, a number of us had issues with England Germany game in DD. My amp claimed it was DD but I only get stereo when I watched it on BBC HD.

Your amp was telling the truth. DD doesn't have to be DD5.1. DD2.0 is Dolby Digital stereo, which is what almost all BBC HD transmissions are in.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom