Dolby Digital + / Pro logic II - HDMI help

Jben04

Novice Member
Reaction score
I bought a newer HDMI cable for the TV.. the previous set up when streaming the AVR would give me Dolby Digital +.
Now with the newer HDMI cable.. i don't get that option on my AVR , i only have Pro Logic ii / neo etc...

Did i get a inferior hdmi cable? ( High speed HDMI cable ,18gbps,4k / 60hz),
the newer cable is plugged into the ARC hdmi port -120hz ( as was the one that was replaced).
I just dont get why a newer cable ,doesnt give me that Dolby Digital+ on my AVR where a older cable i have does....

I cannot explain that at all. The Pro-logic II decoder should only be active when the AVR is receiving a stereo source. Anything encoded as DD+ should be decoded by the AVR as DD+. Even if you haven’t touched them I would check the TV’s audio settings just to make sure it isn’t configured to send audio as PCM, you want multi-channel bitstream.

Last edited:
Sure was,, our previous 55" decided to die on us,, so we opted to get a new one rather than repair it.
Then the misses had a great idea to get a 65" ( " if we have to buy a new one , size up " ),, then had to get a longer HDMI to properly attach it to the new wall mount we also had to get lol
(we had a TCL 55 p605 ,,and upgraded to a TCL 65 R646 )

So you also have a new TV. Have you had DD+ out of this TV before?

yes,, before we had no issues , using all the same equipment for the new tv ,, this only happened when i swapped out to the longer HDMI....

Gonna feel like a right idiot now...
now with the new longer HDMI ,it IS switching to digital+ .

It probably just means the source you were watching was simply PCM stereo and not DD+. A surround decoder would always use Pro-logic (or DTS Neo) on PCM stereo.

No, the source was a film from disney+ (encanto).. unless it was an issue with Disney+... strange lol

Maybe the AVR is on the way out and not switching / decoding as it should be...
Not a bad thing considering i was looking to maybe upgrade to a Denon X2700H ( i currently have the X2100W )

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom