• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dolby Digital Plus passthrough from TV to HT over optical cable

AVnoob1234

Novice Member
Hi

i have read alot of threads online regarding sending 5.1 surround to a Home theatre through optical which seems to be limited to DD .

My situation :

Gaming PC connected to a Hisense 4k TV via HDMI 2.0
Hisense - 43" Class (42.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Black

Home theatre i want to buy is philips HTB3570/40
Detailed specifications on HTB3570/40

I donot want to use HDMI (ARC) since it introduce lag and the home theatre only support HDMI 1.4

My question :

Since the TV states the it uses Digital Dolby Plus , and The HTS can encode/decode digital dolby plus . does this means that using an optical cable will work and i would get surround from my favorite games ??

Is there a way to force the VGA to sending the audio in DD+ , or is it the TV that does this Conversion automatically ?

thanks in advance

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you want to optimise the audio from your Game PC/Console look for a system which has multiple HDMI Inputs - the TV will not pass DD+ via its ARC or Optical Out.

TV's are not the ideal 'Hub' of a system where you want to optimise audio.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom