Dolby Digital Plus over ARC

Savvasy

Novice Member
I own a Samsung QLED Q8FN (2018 model) and an LG LHB655NW Home Cinema system which I have connected through ARC. CEC settings are enabled on both the TV and the receiver.
My problem is that whenever I try to play Netflix content from my TV or a movie through a USB HDD connected to the TV I get no sound from the receiver when I enable Dolby Digital Plus on the TV sound settings. If I use the TV speakers instead then I get sound.

gibbsy

Your TV may not be capable of passing through 5.1 from external sources, which your USB is. Certainly true of some Panasonic sets. It will probably only pass PCM stereo.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you confirmed:

The TV supports DD+ via its HDMI Input?

The TV supports DD+ via its ARC Output?

The Sound system supports DD+ via its ARC Input?

Joe

Savvasy

Novice Member
Thank you for the reply guys.
I believe the answer on the 2nd and 3rd question is yes.
For the 1st question I am not sure what to tell you since I am not using any HDMI input.
When I choose the DD+ option on the TV I get a message that it can only send the sound through ARC and I get a similar message on the Sound system as well.
I believe my problem is on the HDMI cable since I am not sure what kind of cable I have to use.
Currently I am using an HDMI 2.0 cable.
I am thinking to buy a 2.0a or 2.0b one but I am not sure if it is a waste of money.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Cable - Version Numbers are not relevant to HDMI Cables. There is a separate ‘Certification’ program for cables (Ultra High Speed, High Speed and Standard). At short lengths pretty much any cable should work for you.

TV as a Source - try altering the TV Digital/HDMI Out Options (should be on Bitstream) when playing back a Netflix Movie which includes DD+ audio via the onboard App.

Firmware Update - is everything running the latest Firmware?

Joe

Savvasy

Novice Member
Thanx again Joe.
Both systems are updated with the latest firmware.
I have tried both PCM and Bitstream on the TV Digital/HDMI Out Options with no success.
When a Netflix Movie is able to send DD+ audio via the onboard App I am able to choose DD+ on the TV (the option is not greyed out) but I get no sound. If the Netflix Movie is not DD+ but plain DD then the DD+ option on the TV is greyed out so I am not able to select it.
I have also tried to play a movie through my USB HDD connected to the TV with E-AC3 format which I believe is DD+ with the same result. DD+ option is not greyed out but still no sound.
The LG manual states that a HIGH SPEED HDMI CABLE WITH ETHERNET is needed for ARC connection.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Netflix via TV App - if you disable CEC and disconnect the HDMI cable to the Sound-system can you play back DD+ encoded content via the TV speakers?

HDMI cable - you can try a High Speed Cable, should only cost a few pounds to give it a go.

Joe

Savvasy

Novice Member
Yes I can play DD+ content via TV speakers.
I recently bought and using a Syncwire 2.0 cable with the following specs:
  • Multi-functional support - Syncwire HDMI cable supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC) and hot plugging. Superior for all 2.0 Standards devices as well as being backwards compatible with previous HDMI Standards (v1.4 & v1.3).
  • Universal Compatibility - Syncwire HDMI to HDMI cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable. Easily connects your TV to your Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, Sky HD, Xbox one/ 360, DVD, computers and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers and many more.
  • Mirror or Extend your computer - Under mirror mode, you can enjoy the movies or play games on HDTV which displays the same content as your computer desktop; Under Extended mode, each display simply gives you more desktop room and they're separate.
  • Superb Video Quality - Category 2 Certified, Pure copper with 24K gold-plated connectors, high purity oxygen-free copper wiring and multilayer shielding protect against outside interference , ensure the purity of the digital signal, and provide the truer sound, picture.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Cable - mostly just ‘fluff’ in the description but ought to be fine, your problem is going to be settings or an incompatibility rather than the cable.

Netflix TV App - try pausing whilst playing back a DD+ stream (this time with CEC/ARC enabled but no HDMI cable connected) and then ‘hot-swap’ in the TV to Sound-System HDMI cable and see if DD+ via now works.

Joe

Savvasy

Novice Member
Hello Joe, I tried what you suggested. When I hot swaped the HDMI cable, the system kicked me out of Netflix and automatically recognized the AV system, then I went back to Netflix app and resumed but still no sound.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Looking back at Post #6 - is there no audio from the TV Netflix App no matter how you configure the TV audio out/select audio stream within Netflix?

Can you try an Optical cable between the TV and the Soundbar?

Joe

Savvasy

Novice Member
I tried all combinations without success.
I tried an Optical cable but the DD+ option is greyed out therefore I can only listen to DD.
What is really strange is that the TV recognizes the DD+ stream (it is not greyed out) but for some reason either the TV does not send the stream to the receiver or the receiver does not recognize the stream.

Savvasy

Novice Member
Anyway thanx for trying to help Joe.
I will solve the problem in a different way. I assume if I buy a 4k bluray player with 2 HDMI output and a USB port problem will be solved. I will use the new player to watch Netflix and movies from my HDD.
I could do that with my current setup but unfortunately the LG AV is not 4k capable.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Possibly the better solution as you can spend a lot of time trying to make devices talk - which may never happen.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom