1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dolby digital passthrough via SPDIF

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John_N, Feb 5, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just set up my HTPC for a trial run.

I have a sony HS10 projector linked via DVI to Radeon 9000 pro card.

And a Philips Sonic Edge 5.1 linked via SPDIF to a Nakamichi AV amp.

The visual side works fine and I get widescreen video OK.

The audio side is sort of working - I am getting PCM stereo out of the card SPDIF so using the amplifier digital input I can hear all the windows sounds.

However, when playing a DVD using winDVD, I just hear the sounds in 'stereo' (PCM audio being transmitted over the SPDIF link is stereo NOT 5.1 channels).

I've tried enabling 'SPDIF out' on WINDVD - no joy. The sound just goes completely dead.

Has anyone got any ideas about a player I could/should use or something I can do to make sure that I'm getting the full 5.1 channels passed through to my philips sonic edge card's SPDIF output?

I don't have any wires connected internally in the case to the Philips 'SPDIF in' ports or anything by the way.

Cheers
    John

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't use WinDVD, but i seem to remember reading something about SPDIF output only working in WinDVD if hardware acceleration is disabled.

Have you seen here

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thanks for the ideas.
    No - didn't work. Like I said I get SPDIF digital output - it just is PCM audio which is 2 channels only. I'm not getting passthrough of the unaltered digital signal from the DVD.

:(

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi John,
    What operating system are you using?
    Cheers.
    Tim.

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm using windows 2000.

I got it working anyway. I used a different DVD player. I downloaded a trial version of PowerDVD and it worked fine so I bought the full version online.

System configuration is now:

Windows 2000
    Radeon 9000 pro - DVI output to Sony HS-10
    Philips Sonic Edge 5.1 - SPDIF to Nakamichi
    ATI Remote Wonder remote control

Player: PowerDVD

This seems to do everything; I now get my DVD output in full 5.1 surround and I get system sounds in PCM stereo so it means that the system is controllable totally from the couch.

Fantastic.

I watched a movie last night and got concerned about image quality. Turned out I was watching it in 16 bit colour by mistake.
    Upping the colours to 32 bit made a big difference. The picture is very very good.

My only concern is that in very slow pans, I see the picture judder a bit. Is this normal? It only happens in very very slow pans.

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    John,
    For the sp/dif to work in windows 2000 you need at least service pack 1 pref' 2.
    LMK if it works.
    Tim