Question Dolby Digital Pass Through With Game Consoles

Troy Jollimore

Novice Member
I just replaced my ancient Toshiba 34HX81 CRT (yes, CRT) with a 50UN7300AUD (after spending $3200 for the Toshiba, this one was $100 and grocery points!). I have two issues now that I’ve jumped from Composite to HDMI...

1) The Toshiba had ‘sound compression’, where low and high volume extremes were moderated to a fairly good moderate level. Now I have to constantly turn volume up and down, even on a single video. Is this feature still available?

2) The title topic. I’m outputting audio to my just-as-ancient Technics SA-DX750 via digital optical from the TV. When I use Netflix from the TV, I get Dolby Digital 5.1. When I use the PS3, Netflix again shows 5.1, but BluRays are stuck with 2.1. My XBox 360 seems to lie and shows 5.1, but I don’t think surround was actually being output by Netflix. Especially since YouTube shows 5.1 as well, and I know it isn’t. Haven’t tried the WiiU yet. The PS3 auto settings return PCM 2-channel only, and I saw where older TVs could be adjusted to show ‘DTS’ via the service menu. Doesn’t seem to be an option on this smart TV, so it‘s set to ‘Bitstream’ and either ‘Auto‘ or ‘PassThrough’. Is there something I’m missing?

Any ideas would be welcome. I’d rather not have to run a separate optical cable to my amp from the PS3. Especially since I just gave a bunch away, thinking I’d never need them... 😔 Would rather not get a splitter or a new Receiver, either...

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom