Dolby Digital out - not working?

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help,

My sound card states it can output dolby digital via the digital output, but the amp is only reconising a dolby surround track.

I have tried mediaplayer / realplayer with no luck

Any ideas?

Are you playing a DVD with 5.1?

Normal windows sounds will just be 2 channel.

Yes, i have also tried a few games that output dolby digital.

Mediaplayer has the dobly digital symbol at the bottom, but still i am only getting two channel output.

well media player always has the symbol if it detects a DD signal from the DVD, but it does not mean your soundcard is outputting it, what DVD decoder are you using?, I recoomend oyu get a trial of WinDVD 7 from www.intervideo.com, also what sound card are you using?, make sure you have the sound card's digital output set correctly to digital out, some cards allow you to pass through the line in to the digital out and you do not want that...so you need you sound card's spdif output correctly set and the dvd players digital output sent to spdif, media player is kinda bugy, sometimes it does not keep the setting so best useing a player like win dvd to test ...

www.intervideo.com

Also, make sure the amp is on auto detect signal.

The amp can't do anything other than auto detect its a denon AVR3802. I read somewhere a while back that some pc's output the DD information, but don't include the tag that tells the amp it is a DD signal. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I have a couple of copies of windvd, got to be worth a go.

Have you set all the settings on the pc to spdif out?
This needs to be done in the dvd player software, and maybe in the sound card drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it working on intervideo windvd4, but still can't get it working on mediaplayer. Lisa you were right i needed to change the settings in windvd4 to output via digital. Any ideas on what settings need changing on mediaplayer?

No idea, the onboard digital out didn't work so i brought a £10 USB job from ebay, that is digital optical out only.

Has no drivers and just realise on windowsxp WMD drivers

stevos said:
Got it working on intervideo windvd4, but still can't get it working on mediaplayer. Lisa you were right i needed to change the settings in windvd4 to output via digital. Any ideas on what settings need changing on mediaplayer?

In media player, go to Tools>options>dvd>advanced, then select SPDIF...should work now...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom