1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital or Not?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Goatface, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call me a Numpty, but bare with cos I'm new to this :(

Whenever I spin my DVD's my amp will tell me what formats it detects, irrepective of what I choose to play it in. For example, If it detects, Dolbly Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS or whatever it tells me and then it will select the better as a playback preference, ie DTS if available. (I say that nevously because I have read all the DD V's DTS threads)...Anyway...This said and done I can choose if available to playback in Dolby Digital. THX always seems to be an option for some reason even though only a few of my Pixar and Starwars DVD's are THX. My question is > I just purchased the Limited Shawshank Redemption and The Hellraiser Box set. Both claimed they are DD, However when I spin them the Dolby Digital indicator, and the Pro Logic II indicators come on, but Dolby Digital isn't an available option for playback. Dolby Pro Logic II, Pro Logic Movie is and for some reason THX and the Pioneer own ones too.

Dolby Digital is available on nearly all my other DVD's. I tend to look for at least DD when I am purchasing DVD's now. I played them back in DPLII and it sounded ok but as dynamic as DD normally is? Am I missing something here. Is there different meanings of Dolby Digital???

My amp is the Pioneer 1011.

Be Gentle with me

Also, For the record I must be what you here call a DTS fanboy:rolleyes: Cos I purchased Saving Private Ryan and FOTR in DD at first and then brought the DTS versions after and the difference was really worth it. I guess i just depends on if its potential is really utilised, I would assume that a DD DVD mastered by an expert will kick ass compared with a DVD in DTS just for the sake of it?

2. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Just learnt that the source could of been Dolby Digital 2.0 or 2.1. So the indicator would of came on and Pro Logic II would of been one of the offered playback formats. So I gather my playback format or Dolby Digital is 5.1 with Virtual Surround back in my case.

Reckon I got a lot to learn here.

3. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Dolby Digital is the name of the format but it can be in many different forms:

1.0 Mono
    2.0 Mono
    2.0 Stereo
    2.0 Stereo Surround
    4.0 Dolby Digital Surround
    4.1 Dolby Digital Surround
    5.0 Dolby Digital Surround
    5.1 Dolby Digital Surround
    5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX

So your amp will detect how many channels it is and give you the appropriate choices.

Some clarification on THX. THX on your amp is not a format per se, it is a post processing setting. THX on a dvd is also not a format, it is merely a stamp of certification to show a dvd has passed their quality control (but this doesnt always guarantee quality, pay little attention to thx certified dvds, other than enjoying the thx trailer). I would suggest you apply THX post processing only when watching an old vhs or dvd 2.0 Stereo Surround film that sounds overly bright and has mono surround info (although DPLII does a better job for this nowdays) or when watching a 5.1 film that hasnt been remixed for home viewing and sounds too bright. But when watching TV, playing video games and watching most modern dvds, the THX mode on your amp isnt really needed.

Also if the dvd you are watching has a choice of soundtracks, you will have to select it from the dvd menu, the amp cannot choose between soundtracks. So if you want to hear the DTS soundtrack on the Saving Private Ryan or LOTR dvds, you will have to manually select it from the DVD menu as they will default to the Dolby Digital tracks.

4. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very helpfull thanks. Any recommended places I can read more about this?