Dolby Digital or DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Langton

High just wondered what the majority of people prefer to listen to. Ive heard people say they prefer DTS over Dolby Digital

John

Sorry tired to make a poll but failed.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
John,you've only to do a quick search here to get the breadth of opinion available.....in short,there are as many poor DD as poor DTS recordings out there,and each can sound awful if the mix was done badly.

Many people(myself included),prefer a good DTS recording,as the bass end can often be better defined and controlled,but it's by no means as cut and dried as that.

ijd

big ol can of worms, DTS for me , I have yet to hear someone say dd5.1 over DTS though it is always DTS or cannot tell the difference :smashin:

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
DTS for teh win

there are some good DD recordings, but very very few, most DTS are good, sadly there are nowhere near as many discs with DTS on....but if it has it i always choose it....have listened to both too, never preferred the DD version on the same film....

for me it isnt just the bass, there seems to be an extra quality to the sounds, like going from CD to DVD-A or SACD...its a more realistic and natural sound....

mebbe i have yet to experience a bad DTS track, i hope i never do tho...lol it would be a let down from what i know...heh

(btw, Japanese films on DTS are usually the best, so exquisite to listen to)

Jack the lad

Hope Family Man doesnt see this thread :rotfl:

Brian avoid this thread :D

Br41ns

:hiya:

DTS for me, though ive nowt against DD. I just find the DTS sound fills the room better. :smashin:

kumamoto

Banned
I prefer DTS soundtracks to DD. DTS has higher bitrate compared to DD hence less compressed. That said i was watching GI Jane dvd the other night and thought the DD soundtrack was awesome. I even had my partially deaf neigbour come round to complain about the noise!!

J

John Langton

:) I thought DTS was better. Not one person yet has said they prefer DD over it

John

Jack the lad

I look at the DD and DTS thing like this.....

If I have a choice between Stella Artois and say Fosters I will have the Stella everytime. Now the Stella does the same thing as the Fosters but tastes different. So if I dont have a choice I will take any :rolleyes:

PS Not quite sure of my point but Im enjoying my Stella. Thanks :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

U

u32t5645

Knyght_byte said:
... btw, Japanese films on DTS are usually the best, so exquisite to listen to
I agree. It seems Asia, in general, is now ahead of the pack for cinema production. China appeared on the scene almost overnight with computer-generated special effects that rival anything I have seen come out of Hollywood. The sound production for movies from Japan and Thailand can be stunning, the best. A friend that is a film major told me an Asian director was specifically targeted for the special effects in the Matrix series.

I recently read somewhere that DD is supposed to have greater capability than DTS. I don’t know if it was 5.1 (DD vs DTS) or 7.1 (DD-EX vs DTS-ES). My personal experience is DTS has impressed me more for both DVD cinema sound and the 3 or 4 DTS audio discs that I have.

Anyone with a 7.1 system may want to check out the movie ‘Three…Extremes’. It’s 3 short, intense movies by 3 Asian directors, in three languages(?), English subtitles all. The dts-es multi-ch sound effect is phenomenal.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i very much enjoyed Old Boy in DTS-ES...that was a spanking soundtrack....

Cable Monkey

How many people have DTS discs that feature full bit rate DTS? I would argue that given the same levels of care in authoring, DTS is superior, but I think a lot of that advatage gets lost when the bit rate is reduced as it often is when squeezing multiple soundtracks/languages onto region 2 discs. And I have most certainly heard examples where a DTS mix sounds worse than a DD mix of the same track.

J

John Langton

Hi guys just taken a look at the link recruit sent me. I should have done a better search so sorry for starting a thread that has been covered many a time before. Mods feel free to lock this Im happy with the answers recieved

John

Dfour

Closing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom