Dolby Digital or DTS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nimni, May 27, 2004.

1. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to Dolby Digital and wander is there any deferens between Dolby Digital and DTS sound formats

2. theroohster

theroohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS uses less data compression that Dolby Digital, and should in theory sound better - in most cases it does!
    More DVDs are starting to carry both DD and DTS soundtracks, so its well worth having.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    I tend to use DTS when I have the choice of both, but in reality I think you have to have a very HOT system and accurate hearing to tell the difference!

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there are (as mentioned) technical differences. The one which I find most important is that dts is actually a tad louder for a given volume setting, all my friends prefer this. My own preference depends on the disc and I dont think that either really provides a noticeably superior sound to the other. For a novice I dont think they would notice if the amp never went to dts. Even being a bit mad on this hobby, a DD5.1 track is all i need to keep me happy.

ad

5. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If given the option I always listen in DTS, it seems to have a more dynamic sound. But I've also listened to a friends system and couldn't tell the difference between the two. Maybe it comes down to interaction of all the components.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the dynamic sound is often attributed to the raised levels.... I strongly suspect that people would have far less dts perference if the levels were matched to those of DD

ad

7. kazzup

kazzup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know about raised levels, but i'm only comparing with the volume level that I listen to. Always at -35db be it DD or DTS.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what i mean is for a given amplifier setting, dts will be louder. So unless you actually increase the volue when listening to DD, you wont be listening at the same spl

ad