Question Dolby Digital or DTS Neo 2.5 HDMI ARC Sounbar

Manic Marley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Samsung KS7000 TV and just bought the Yamaha YAS207 soundbar for it. I have my Virgin Tivo Box, PS4 Pro and Nvidia Shield all HDMI connected to the TV and then the Soundbar via HDMI ARC. My question is what should i choose in the TV Settings for the sound bar, so far i have the HDMI Audio Format set to Bitstream but then theres another section underneath that states Audio Format and i have the options PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS Neo 2.5. What am i select for that?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6951.jpg
    IMG_6951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,348
For Samsung
PCM = stereo
Dolby Digital = 5.1
DTS Neo 2.5 = stereo upmix to 5.1

So I'd select Dolby 5.1 if your after surround sound, you will have to go into your set top boxes and configure them to output Dolby as well.

The YAS-207 supports PCM 5.1 via HDMI input on the soundbar too, but ARC does not support PCM 5.1 only 2.0 stereo.

Hey, got the same TV but a different soundbar (Samsung HW-Q60R, it's 5.1, knows DD and DTS) along with the PS Pro
I use it mainly for Netflix and gaming so want to make sure I take advantage as much as I can of the 5.1 content.
So for HDMI Audio Format - I should always choose Bitstream over PCM in regards to surround content right ? (even though Bitstream is compressed, I'm ok with that)
What about under Expert Settings?
Issue is I've got DTS greyed out (see screenshot, not mine; I'm at work and needed a picture) in Netflix (haven't checked on the PS Pro yet)

Also, this soundbar supports HDR10 and 4K 60FPS passthrough. Should I plug the PS Pro straight into the soundbar and then output to the TV since it can passthrough HDR video ?
I was thinking if I go PS Pro > TV > soundbar, the TV can't pass through the DTS signal to the soundbar but it I go PS PRo >Soundbar > TV, the audio gets passed straight to the soundbar (and then soundbar passes HDR video to the TV).
As connections, I'm using HDMI ports only

Attachments

• asdad.PNG
    asdad.PNG
    656.2 KB · Views: 2,514
Last edited:
Bitsream simply passes the signal forward to the next device in the chain for decoding.

If the Soundbar meets your video requirements and has better audio capabilities than the TV can pass vis its HDMI Inputs (quite common) then connect the Source to the Soundbar and then the Soundbar to the TV.

Joe

Good afternoon - I have a very similar situation. However I have Xbox One to tv HDMI then tv to sound bar HDMI arc. Set to PCM Dts Neo 2.5. sounds pretty good actually but Bass almost overwhelms everything. I went to the EQ. in tv settings and turned Bass down too. I wondering if I have it all set up correctly. I tried using Optical but it mutes the sound bar and I couldn't figure out why!! Samsung 8500SUHD tv, Samsung Sound bar HWK550, Xbox One.. One more thing I didn't understand in the Xbox options uncompressed, stereo, etc.. Hope I'm making sense. Thank you for your time!!

DTS Neo 2:5 upmixes a PCM stereo stream to something like 5.1 surround. It is the result of a partnership between Samsung and DTS so you’ll only see it on Samsung TVs as an option. I’m not entirely convinced it creates the sub channel - it is 2:5 (2 channels to 5) not 2 channels to 5.1. Most of the blurb says it creates a surround sound “like DD 5.1” but in any case the soundbar likely creates the sub channel based on whatever crossover frequency it uses where there is no discrete channel.

First check the output of the XBox. With the TV being a bit old and ARC try something other than uncompressed unless there is uncompressed PCM 2.0 as an option. That is what DTS Neo 2:5 is looking for. Stereo should be PCM 2.0. Then on the TV set the audio output to digital out (same for HDMI or optical) and DTS Neo 2:5 should be delivered to the soundbar. I am not sure what the soundbar will do with that input but it should sound ok - certainly shouldn’t have overpowering bass (unless the XBox outputs a lot of the audio below the sub crossover frequency which may be quite high so overpowering bass may be “a thing”.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom