Dolby Digital on sky box office?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Douzeper, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any plans for this anyone know?

it pee's me right off that I can get it on sky movies 1,2,3 and when ya pay extra for a movie on box office ya don't :rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Very doubtful.
    Hardware used to supply DD5.1 on SBO is now being used for the subscription movie channels. HD SBO is expected to be DD.1 but not an option without a massive investment by the viewer.

3. taffyt

taffyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've never understood, why on Box Office Movies, they still encode into MPEG2 in realtime on transmission, as they do with all the other channels. Surely, they could encode the Box Office Movies beforehand, complete with the DD5.1 soundtrack and probably spend more time encoding therefore getting a higher quality picture within the same bandwidth, then just transmit the data every quarter of an hour on each channel.

The only downside I could see with this, would be no facility to alter what's being transmitted, i.e. put on a news flash caption or voice over, but would this be an issue with Box Office?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It doesn't pee me off. I belong to Blockbuster Movies, and see all the newer movies for £14.99 a month for about a dozen movies a month. If you can fit more viewings in, you could get twice that number for the same price, and with DD 5.1 sound.