1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Neil69, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Who decides whether a movie is in 5.1 audio or not? Surley the whole point of DVD is to have multichannel surround. Ie:- the R1 versions of The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Shawshank Redemtion etc have AC-3 5.1, the R2 versions don't. Even Jaws & Dirty Harry have it, so why not all DVDs?
    Cheers, Neil :eek: :eek: :( :(

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to do a DD5.1 remix you really need the original audio stems and separates otherwise all you can get is a poor duplication of channels. (which sounds awful)

This lack of audio stems is the reason why R1 version of Conan the Barbarian is only available in mono, the original stems were accidently destroyed not long after the movie was first released.

Normally it down to licenesing, but it's also down to cost (not cheap to remix a film)
    The R2 sharshank redemption not being 5.1 is most proberly a licensing issue.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Reason being that they can sell you the "Special Ripp-off Edition" with DD5.1 in 6 month, after another 6 month then you will be able to buy the DTS ES 6.1 version with 10 minutes drop-outs after which we add a director's commentary and call it "The Ultimate Edition" and after that ...

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic here, but it all comes back to licensing and 'good-will' like CW2000 says.
    Remastering a soundtrack is costly and if I am the owner of the rights to a movie (in mono or whatever format) why would I want to invest in re-mastering the soundtrack when I can sell you the DVD anyhow?
    I assume that I would need to pay a new or additional fee if the movie has been re-mastered in the US (given it's a US movie as certainly most are) but then again I know people will still buy it.
    After which we come back to the point above ... :(