1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital modes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by parknride, Oct 14, 2003.

1. parknride

parknride

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got Sky+ and part of the reason was to get 5.1. I have a Philips TV which is 5.1 capable and automatically senses the mode and briefly displays it on screen and I've connected the Sky box to the TV via the digital input/output. But when watching a suitably encoded film on Sky movies the Tv senses the mode and comes up with "Dolby Digital 3/2" or "Dolby Digital 2.0" on other films. What is 3/2 is it the same as 5.1 (I realise 2.0 is just Dolby Prologic) and if not, how do I get it?

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You assume correctly, DD 3/2 is 5.1 (3x front channels + 2x rear channels).

3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just got mine today, is there a bug with the way Sky+ sends the signal? It seems that DD 5.1 will only work on Sky Premier if I am watching the movie from exactly when it begins. If I flick through the Sky Premier channels midway through films I don't get any sound at all.

Gary A

4. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is a major bug in the Sky DD transmission - seems to affect the newer v2 boxes more. In my experience, the sound is lost when I flick through the movie channels without letting it rest on the channel properly to let the sound come through. The sound just disappears, and the only way to get it back is to unplug the box and restart. Others have reported that pausing, or just leaving the channel on for a minute brings the sound back, but this doesn't work on mine.

Sky have been aware of the problem for months - I got a £38 refund in July after complaining, but haven't heard a peep out of them since. It is very annoying.

5. parknride

parknride

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon, thought it must be but wanted to check. I have had no probs with the sound on any of movie channels yet, though it sometimes decides to record half the program for no apparent reason