Dolby Digital from Sky HD

NWhiteley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem and i don't know if it's my AV amp or my SkyHD box...

I know that HD boxes don't allow DD sound through HDMI, so to get it, i have run an optical cable to my Pioneer AX4 to run along side the HDMI cable.
The problem i have it that with the HDMI input enabled on my amp i only get standard stereo, if i disable the HDMI input and use component for video, the sound comes through the optical cable and i get DD.

Therefore i am unable to get video through HDMI and sound via Optical simultaneously, so is there a setting either for my amp or SkyHD that will allow this, or is the amp unable to do it?

If the problem is with my amp, which AV amp will allow it?

i have my sky HD optical out to my amp n watch via HDMI no problem.

have you set the sound to optical out + DD?

I'm not familiar with that particular amp but I think most av amps allow you to select which optical audio input goes with which video input. Have a look in the settings input options or something along those lines, and if you have a manual have a look at that. ;)

i have my sky HD optical out to my amp n watch via HDMI no problem.

have you set the sound to optical out + DD?

I dont have the option on my Sky box, to output via optical.

The only option i do have is to set the optical output to DD, but that doesn't select between HDMI or Optical.

*Edit* I have the option for audio output, but that only switches between mono and stereo.

Its the input menu under setup of your amp. You need to assign the optical input to your HDMI input for sky. P60 of this manual.

Last edited:
I have tried all that but the amp still wont use the optical input when HDMI is used for video.

Strange, the way I read the manual it should work, although I know some sony amps have a similar problem with SkyHD. Only other suggestion is to send HDMI straight to the TV and optical to the amp.

I have sorted it.. i just needed to press the Signal select button on the remote. This cycled through all the audio inputs for any given video input.

Cheers for your help.

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom