• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dolby digital from a hard drive

Nick Odgers

My computer is connected to Onkyo av receiver. If I play a dvd from the computer it outputs in dolby digital, but if I connect hard drive via usb and play a film it is pro-logic. Is this to do with the usb connection?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
More than likely the file you are playing only has a stereo soundtrack.

Download MediaInfo

MediaInfo

Open the file it will tell you what audio and video it has.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's not to do with the USB connection.

You don't say whether you're connecting the USB hard drive to the computer or the AVR, how the computer and AVR are connected together, what playback programs you're using or how they're configured so it's a little hard to troubleshoot.

If you're talking about it connected to the computer and both being played back through the same program then there is a good chance it's because the file is lacking a Dolby Digital encoded 5.1 track as graham suggested. It may be that the film as a 5.1 track in another format that either your AVR doesn't understand or it too high a bandwidth to be sent through the audio cable (a common issue with S/PDIF).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom