1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Forgetful, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry if this has been asked already, does my Denon 2803 support DD EX and would it have to be manually switched on to listen to the new Star Wars triligy or should it be auto?

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does. Depending on which Region your discs are from it will switch. All Region 1 discs have the encoded flag, but it appears Star Wars Region 2 isn't flagged. Not a great loss as you can just manually switch on the Surround Back speakers. :)

3. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry if I appear clueless, so as I only have a 5.1 set up, for me to get use out of the DD EX I would need extra rear speakers and then manually switch the amp on for those speakers?

4. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It is region 2 disc's that I have also!!

5. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. You would need extra rear speakers. The Denon gives you the option of either manually switching the Surround Back speakers ON or doing it automatically with it's AFDM (Auto Flag Detect Mode). Unfortunately AFDM only works if the dvd disc has the relevant flag encoded on it (not all EX/ES discs have the flag). It's easier just to leave AFDM off and manually switch on/off the Surround Backs. :)

6. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you very much for your help Arcangel, this explains quite a bit, Cheers!!

Dave.

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth investing in Surround Back speakers as they can enhance the overall sound very nicely. Assuming you have at least a metre or so space behind you though. I wouldn't be without them and leave them switched on for everything. :)