Dolby Digital EX Flagging

Alsproject

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I have been reading up on the Dolby site that DVDs released after the end of 2001 will be "flagged" if you are using the EX soundtrack so it will switch on the EX decode automatically on the amp.

The DTS-ES flagging works perfectly on my RX-V630RDS but when using DD EX disks, it doesn't turn the decoder on unless I select the Matrix 6.1 option on the amp first.

I have tried various disks including, Seven, Monsters Inc, Star Wars EP1 & 2, Rush Hour 2, Harry Potter, Blade 2, Goldmember but none of these carry the signal to switch the amp.

Does anyone know of DVDs that carry the DD EX signal?

The reason I ask this is because the amp always defaults the EX/ES detection to Auto when you put it into standby (as many 630 owners know), and it just becomes a tiny bit of a pain to keep switching it on (coz I'm lazy!).

Also, are there any other amp owners out there who have trouble with automatic DD EX switching?

Many thanks!

i also find this very annoying. i have a denon 3801 which i have set to 6.1 at all times. it does show when a disc is flagged by a green led, does this happen on your amp?

these films are the only discs that i have with DDex flagging

jurrassic park 3 R1

pearl harbour R2

The metadata tag set used for the EX flag causes dropouts in some equipment using Cirrus/Crystal Logic Dolby Digital DSPs (as used in some Onkyo and Denon receivers).

These problems first appeared toward the end of 2001 when the first flagged discs appeared (Jurassic Park 3, Beastmaster, Pearl Harbor [incorrectly flagged]). Dolby advised all manufacturers to halt using the flag at that time, and the flag hasn't been in common use since (although some versions of Disney's Atlantis, released several months later, do carry the flag).

Dolby's Position

Onkyo's press release:

Important Notice

Thank you for purchasing this quality Onkyo product. It has come to our attention that a few recently released DVD titles, such as gPearl Harborh and gJurassic Park III,h will experience problems reproducing the Dolby Digital (5.1) soundtrack. A recent software change in the encoders used by the movie studios to master these DVDs causes audio gdropoutsh in many receivers, not only those manufactured by Onkyo.@This problem is recognized and under working with the movie studios, Onkyo, and other manufacturers to resolve this matter. The DTS, which is also 5.1 channel, and 2-channel soundtracks or other audio formats are unaffected by this problem and perform perfectly. You may select these alternative audio options from the DVDfs software menu, which frequently loads automatically after playback begins. Typically the additional audio tracks can be found in the opening menu under gAudioh or gLanguages,h but may vary slightly from disc to disc.

ONKYO CORPORATION

Adam

Thanks for the replies :)

I just needed to know if my amp was faulty or not.

I dont have any EX flagged disks to try on my 630 as there are only a handful released and I don't own any of them.

Alan

Actually.... I tell a lie!

I just whacked in my Atlantis: The Lost Empire disk and it switched the amp to the correct decoder.

The version I got is the 4:3 version (which I brought by mistake coz I thought it was widescreen)

Alan

Adam you mentioned problems I'm getting with my Sony STR-VA555ES I get sound dropouts in DTS ES after playing with the back surround on/off decoding it comes back on for a time! You mentioned that DTS hadn't any faults I'm wondering if it's my amp??? Anyone help? DD5.1 EX is fine!!

Hello Mattk. The problem I described above is limited to Dolby Digital soundtracks, and does not affect DTS. Your problem is certainly unrelated.

Your amplifier is sold as the STR-DA5ES in the US and this model is known to have dropout and compatibility issues with some DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 titles, specifically titles sourced from New Line (such as Blade 2 and Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring).

Sony now offer a software upgrade to resolve this problem for US owners of the 5ES and 4ES using the amp's RS-232 port. This may or may not be your problem, but I suggest that you enquire whether Sony UK have this upgrade available and if it is required for your STR-VA555ES.

This issue is discussed in this thread, and further information about the upgrade is included in this one.

Adam

Thanks Adam that helped me lots as Sony have drawn a blank at least I now have a way forward! Superb! have a great Xmas!

Just tried Disney's Atlantis region 2 on my updated STR-VA555ES and it's automaticly detected as [3/2+1] (DD EX) and the 6.1 light comes on. R1 Jurassic Park III is the same. Both work fine. I also tried the DTS tracks on these discs and they were also detected as [3/2+1] (dts 6.1 matrix). Star Wars ATOC isn't automatically detected as DDEX, i'm guessing it doesn't have the flag. Anyone know if they intend to start using flags again?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom