1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dolby digital encoding in receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adc2000974, Jan 6, 2004.

1. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    referring to the nvidia soundstorms feature of encoding audio into realtime dolby digital 5.1.

does anyone know why this isn't in a/v receivers
    is it for the following reasons;-

1: Quility "is it a gimmic and not a serious medium."

2: Licencing Issues or time related issues.

3: Power "i.e. av recievers dont have the same processing power as a PC."

Thanks
    Adam C

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Perhaps you need to tell us what is the source used?

And encoding into 5.1 only makes sense if you have a 6-channel soundtrack, but what point does it make to encode this in an AV amp/receiver when it's main purpose is to decode and amplify?

The only point I see is when you want to record / burn your own soundtracks - holiday videos in 5.1 anyone? ;)

3. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On a vaguely related note, has anyone seen any information on the bitrate used by the Soundstorm chipset when encoding to DD? Presumably a standard rate (448kbit/s ?) but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

4. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    A PC soundcard will want to ENcode to 5.1 so it can output it to a reciever to then decode and amplify.

It will be Encoding 5.1 in games etc for a full 5.1 game surround sound.

A reciever has no need to encode 5.1, I cant think of any reason that wouldnt be better handled elswhere.

5. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what adc2000974 is trying to get at, is why if you want to have true 5.1 Games. Why do you specifically have to have an Nvidia motherboard that encodes 5.1. (this question is rhetorical)

Why has someone not created a device that allow you to use the standard Spdif output or maybe even usb on computers so you can enjoy 5.1 from games.

I agree with what everyone else has said re encoding and then decoding.

But as an example some av receivers (Harman kardon I think)decode mp3 from computers. My not have a similar system for Dolby Digital games.

6. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my attemps to clearify, i am lead to believe that both the nvidia neforce soundstorm has the ability to encode and decode audio into dolby digital at realtime speed.
    in other just like pro logic 2.

or does it just have the encode ability.
    that would explain why it isnt in av recievers

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it's actually 48khz, 664kbit/s.

5.1 encoding is really just so you can run everything through a digital hookup using dobly digital, and currently the soundstorm is the only one that can do this. With other cards, you either get pcm (which is ok, but limited in adjustablilty i believe) or/and you have to run a 5.1 ANALOGUE hookup to get surround sound with everything that isn't DD/DTS encoded, which we all know is quite inferior.

the reason that you need it for 5.1 games, is that 99% of them may well be 5.1, but they are NOT 5.1 DD/DTS - which means you have to use the 5.1 analogue hookup.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Still doesn't make sense (to me): if you want to encode to 5.1 it means you have already 6 channels available - then amplifying would be sufficient, i.e. there is no need to encode and then decode again.

That said a lot of games consoles support DPLII, so you have some surround sound.
    For other sources (which are plain stereo), like PC games or radio even, you can use some DSP mode or also apply DPLII.
    This is done after 'transferring' the signal (analog or digital stereo) to an AV amp/receiver.

You can, just apply some DSP processing (not encoding) at the AV amp/receiver.
    Encoding means to merge several (analog) channels into one single digital bitstream, usually with some compression applied.

9. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understood from the Xbox which has some true dolby digital 5.1 games, the reason you need the encoding chip (nforce) on the motherboard is that true dd games do not have the sound in an already encoded in bit stream on the game discs. So it's down to the xbox's chip to convert the game data into something a dolby digital decoder can deal with.

from dolbys site:

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    which is exactly what i just said lol

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ah, that seems to be the key and now it makes (more) sense ...