1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital / DTS via analogue outputs?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cbemoore, May 16, 2005.

1. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Until now, I've been using the SPDIF output from my HTPC into my Rotel processor, and onwards into my Mackie active speakers.

I've now decided to sell the processor, and plug my speakers directly into the PC. So the PC will be acting as a processor.

I've just bought an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard, which does Circle Surround II processing for 2-channel inputs (eg TV and music). But I'm not sure what happens if I input DD/DTS when playing DVDs.

As far as I can tell, the audio should be handled by the DVD decoder software (I'm using the NVidia decoders). But the NVidia documentation seems to say that is doesn't decode DD and DTS - instead, it just passes the digital stream to the SPDIF output.

Is there any DVD decoding software out there that decodes DD and DTS, and sends the decoded signals to the analogue outputs on my sound card? Or does the NVidia decoder do this already?

Chris

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Nvidia decoders decode DD & DTS as do PowerDVD & WinDVD

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

Theatertek with the advanced audio packs works a treat (Only does 5.1 however)

RON

4. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    theatertek II with an rme card is neck and neck with a MC1 via balanced outs :thumbsup:

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Media Player Classic decodes DTS too :) useful when you have avis with a DTS track!

6. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the advice, guys. But I'm still a bit confused.....

The Revo 7.1 control panel includes full bass management, including speaker volume levels, size, distance, crossover frequency etc. It also contains Circle Surround settings for converting 2ch stereo into 5.1 surround.

However, the NVidia control panel also contain individual channel volume, speaker delay and so on.

When I play a DVD, will the NVidia decoders use their own bass management settings and completely bypass the Revo settings? Or will the two settings get overlayed onto each other?

Chris

7. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just been reading the NVidia website, which states quite clearly that the NVidia decoder does NOT support DD or DTS via the analogue outputs!

See here and here for details.

Instead, the 5.1 soundtrack is downmixed to 2 channels.

So it looks like I need to find another decoder!

Chris

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you get theatertek and the advanced audio pack you can deocde DD/DTS on your PC and pass it to the analogue outs of your revo. I do this now. It works. TT has bass management so you can use that or the one on the maudio revo's setup screen.

Not really sure about the quotes from Nvidia's site but trust me TT + nvidia codecs + Maudio Revo = multichannel analogue out works just fine.:)

HTH
    Owain