1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital Dropout

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mij, Feb 11, 2002.

1. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    I gave up waiting for a solution regarding the Dolby Digital Dropout problem.

I purchased my Denon 1602 from "Hi-Fi Confidential" in London, in October 2001, they very kindly agreed to let me change it for the Marantz 5200, fingers crossed that this amp fits the purpose and doesn’t have any faults.

I am very angry about the way home Hi-Fi has gone, they have become more like PC's, full of bugs, incompatibilities, and almost take it for granted that the consumer will put up with these problems without any explanation or apology, let alone a refund, (it is amazing if you even get a reply) and when finally the fault is proved, guess what? They bring out a new model. (Leaving all the previous model owners feeling like mugs) DVD players seem to be the worst for this.

I am also very fed up with various magazines giving fantastic reviews to certain products, and then totally failing to publicise any faults with these products, or even retracting their review, or revising it to inform potential purchasers there may be a fault. (I assume this is due to advertising revenue)
    The “Sony KV-32FQ75 U” is a classic case of this, so many people reporting the same problem.
    What is Sony’s response? An insult to all its customers. (They admit to two known faults, what are they then, I would like to know as an owner of one)

I have seen this sort of problem drag on for so long, with so many different manufacturers, across such a wide range of home Hi-Fi products, that I have to wonder if all the magazines publishing these wonderful reviews really care about anything other than advertising revenue.

Cynically yours
    Mij

2. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I bought a Denon 2801 - I'm very happy with it, but now I've heard about this Dolby audio dropout problem.

Is my receiver affected - how can I check (which DVDs can I use)?

If it is, does Denon have a fix - should I push my dealer to upgrade to a 280x when it's fixed?

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel

I work in audio post production in the film industry and deal with Dolby a great deal. They might solve the DD dropout but they will never admit to it being their fault. Dolby are very touchy about their products when things go pear shaped.

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    To "adamhamilton" question on which film to use.

On my Denon 1602, Pearl Harbour rented from Blockbuster UK was the film, I had sound with the trailers and menues, but when the actual film started the sound was totally muted and stayed that way for the entire film.

I may be wrong, but I think youre amp is ok, I think it is only the 1602 & 1802 in the Denon range.

Good Luck
    mij

5. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bad experience was with Pearl Harbour through a Kenwood 9050, it played the intro and trailers OK but as soon as the soundtrack started I got a stuttering low noise level mess.
    Blockbuster let me take another film !
    Did I miss anything ?

I agree. What does it say for product testing and control .

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I totally agree also

If you buy something brand new - you don't want the hassle of it being taken back to correct a fault - its brand new

And what sort of testing do the manufacturers do - for things like audio drop out

And the mags ratings don't say the faults - and they should