Dolby Digital Drop Out on HD Channels

CVT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Had Sky HD fitted last weekend, Since then I haven't been able to watch anything in DD5.1 as the signal keeps 'dropping out' & back in again every 2/3 seconds. This only happens on the HD channels. I can watch SD channels via optical without any dropout of signal. I have the box connected to my Denon 1602 amp via Optical. I have tried changing leads without success.
1) Is it my amp (compatability issues) ?
2) Is it Sky (signal) ?
3) Is it my Box ?

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

No problems at all here (on my Yamaha DSP-A5). If you do a search, I think you'll find that most of the people having DD audio problem are using Denon's.

Have done a search without really finding any answers. Is it the older Denon's like mine or the newer models too. I don't want to invest in a recent Denon amp to find it's got the smae problem. Any adivice on a new amp >£500 ?

I had problems when I first had Sky HD installed back on launch-day (22 May)

My first experience in watching a HD movie in DD5.1 suffered the symptoms that you describe.

I put it down to the fact that I was getting the digibox doing too much...
I was watching one HD-DD channel whilst recording another.

The sound drop-outs were unbearable and I couldn't watch it.

I tried to watch the movie again the next day and all was fine.

Its been fine since! I have even tried replicating the problem again with 2 recordings going on and watching a 3rd at the same time, but I couldn't reproduce the fault.

Maybe you'll be lucky too and find the problem going away by itself.

It might be worth trying to force a new software download. (see FAQ)

Already tried a forced software dowmload. I'm leaning towards the amp as I had the same problem with my Sky + box & ended up not using the DD signal at all ! Now even I can't be that unlucky to have 2 boxes with the same problem. The amp is 5 years old now so maybe I'll look at getting myself a new one. Just avoid Denon's !!

I am also getting the same problem with the sound dropping out then coming back, it is very annoying, I have a Yamaha amp.

Funny thing this doesn't happen if we are watching something that is recorded.

Any ideas guys. Apart from recording everything and then watching from the planner.

PhilJam

Hi,
There's a compatibility issue affecting certain amps when a DD signal is sent via optical. This seems to manifest itself by a 2-3s dropout occurring several times per minute.
My amp is an Integra Research RDC 7 (which cost me >£2k) so its not just on the cheaper amps.
Strange thing is, I've never had the prob on BBC HD or Discovery HD, but on all other 5.1 transmissions, either over the air, or pre-recorded.
At least Sky have recreated the prob in the labs, and are working on the diagnostics....

Anyone tried using an optical to coax lead or covertor to see if it dose the same.

Just a thought.

Andy.

CVT said:
Already tried a forced software dowmload. I'm leaning towards the amp as I had the same problem with my Sky + box & ended up not using the DD signal at all ! Now even I can't be that unlucky to have 2 boxes with the same problem. The amp is 5 years old now so maybe I'll look at getting myself a new one. Just avoid Denon's !!

I've got to disagree - had my SkyHD installed in on May 25th, been using Denon 3805 via optical ever since, and have had no problems whatsoever with sound dropout on any channel/recording.

woodywizz said:
I've got to disagree - had my SkyHD installed in on May 25th, been using Denon 3805 via optical ever since, and have had no problems whatsoever with sound dropout on any channel/recording.
Yeah, got to agree with Woody, I have the Denon 1906 and have no issues whatsoever. The original poster said that problems had occured with Sky+ so it may well be the amp - not a problem that can be attached to all Denon's.

I agree that its probably an over-generalisation to say it affects all Denons, as some of you have said you've got no problems.

It's affecting certain models, and not restricted to Denons alone, as I've stated I get this on my Integra Research RDC-7.

I'm now using an external decoder (Creative DDTS-100) which cost my £60, and it handles the signal fine.

For Andy's suggestion, I tried opt->coax conversion, but no joy there, the drop-out still existed.

Yep definately had the same problem with SKY + although I remember other people on here having it then too ! I haven't actually tried watching anything yet in playback mode so will give it a go. SKY HD channels are the worst for the dropouts. I'm borrowing a friends 1906 so will find out pretty soon what the outcome is. I don't really want to miss out on the Denon brand without giving it a go first. Will keep you posted.

Had the same issue with my Denon3806 (intermittent and sometimes no sound at all)

To rule out a dodgy optical cable, try setting the optical out on the Sky box to normal. If all is fine then it is either an amp or a sky issue.

You also need to ensure that the input mode on the amp is set to 'auto' to make the amp search for the signal type rather than trying to anticipate what it might be.

No need to be confused it's a SKY problem with their software and they don't know how to fix it. The same problem occurs on SKY+ using the DD optical out. It seems to affect Denon amps worse than others.
I have written to Sky about this for the last 4 months and keep getting part refunds of my subscription for my trouble.

dpparks

CVT said:
Had Sky HD fitted last weekend, Since then I haven't been able to watch anything in DD5.1 as the signal keeps 'dropping out' & back in again every 2/3 seconds. This only happens on the HD channels. I can watch SD channels via optical without any dropout of signal. I have the box connected to my Denon 1602 amp via Optical. I have tried changing leads without success.
1) Is it my amp (compatability issues) ?
2) Is it Sky (signal) ?
3) Is it my Box ?

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

When I first got a Sky+ box a few years ago, I had a similar problem with a Cyrus amp and the DD on the movie channels. I had the amp upgraded by Cyrus, and that eliminated the problem. I'd not had a previous problem with other sources, such as DVD players.

Now, the amp works fine with Sky HD.

Had a talk with Denon about this and my 1802.
They said (and I'm not technical so I'll try to get this right)
That all pre xx05 amps have one model decoder and the xx05,06,07 have a newer decoder. SKY movies are now broadcasting with a newer version DD transmision which uses greater bandwidth. this bandwidth is greater then the older decoders can handle. thus the problem.

also no help being offered from them. But what happens if I buy a new amp and the transmision changes agian?

hysys said:
If it is there is only 1 standard then the amp is not compatible for DD ?? -> trading standard anyone ?

I don't suppose you would get anywhere - it's called progress!

It would be akin to arguing that a 30 year old black and white set should receive HD and DD5.1 cos its "telly" after all

fettnest said:
Had a talk with Denon about this and my 1802.
They said (and I'm not technical so I'll try to get this right)
That all pre xx05 amps have one model decoder and the xx05,06,07 have a newer decoder. SKY movies are now broadcasting with a newer version DD transmision which uses greater bandwidth. this bandwidth is greater then the older decoders can handle. thus the problem.

also no help being offered from them. But what happens if I buy a new amp and the transmision changes agian?

So why does a Denon 3803 Amp not have this problem?

I was due to have HD installed on 4th September but phoned up yesterday to cancel the install as I've also cancelled my order for a new HDTV due to reading too much about unhappy customers. I was hoping that maybe I'd look into it again nearer xmas or maybe wait for the January sales.

But I was also conscious that at the moment I've got the free install secured because I ordered before the end of June so it would have been annoying to have lost that. Anyway, on the positive side I was persuaded to reschedule my install rather than cancel so I've now got a date in December that I can always reschedule again or cancel completely. The sweetener for me was that I was offered £40 to reschedule rather than cancel.

Anyway, that's all a bit by the by but the real point of writing in this thread is that I was asked if I had a surround system, which I do, and without asking which brand (Denon 3802 amp as it happens) I was told that the surround out would not work. I didn't bother to argue because I'm quite capable of connecting up an optical or coax audio feed separately from the HDMI so I thought I'd just ignore the comment. I know best and all that. Anyway, it now seems that DD5.1 really is a luxury with the current box and software, rather than a given. Can that really be true? Along with the Pioneer plasma farce it seems like Sky HD gives you everything you could want on a TV other than a picture and sound.

What exactly is going on?

tdodd said:
What exactly is going on?
Picture fine on my Pio 436XDE and no problems with 5.1 on my Yamaha DSP-A5.

I started a new thread relating to the same problem, just to find out about this thread...

Anyway, I do have drop-outs too on DD soundtracks, like once every second. Only on Sky One HD, Sky Movies and sky movies HD.
It works on BBC HD and all other non-sky channels.

They are replacing the box in September... I doubt it will work better.

They did admit they had some issues and they are looking into it... So they know they have an issue, but tey are still sending a technician to replace the box?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom