Dolby Digital Centre Channel Woes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bigalxyz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bigalxyz

bigalxyz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello forum,

I've got the following kit installed:

Yamaha DSP-A1 amp
    Mission 752F mains
    Mission 75C centre
    Mission 77DS rears

Having a problem with the centre channel. I've posted on here about this before but I'm still struggling.

When watching normal stereo TV broadcasts, I tend to have the amp set to Pro Logic decoding, and this sends dialogue to the centre speaker. Sound quality very good, nice and clear, and I'm happy with it.

When I'm watching Dolby Digital stuff, the amp picks this up correctly, and plays the 5.1 channels as it should, but I often have trouble with dialogue. It's sent to the centre channel properly, but it often sounds muffled to me, and can be difficult to follow. I don't think it's caused by having the levels too high on the other channels because I can reduce these levels (via the amp) down to almost nothing, and still the centre channel sounds muffled. Also I've got the amp set up to boost the higher frequencies on the centre channel (it has a centre equalisation function) - but this doesn't really seem to help.

When watching DD I can switch off processing and just get plain stereo. When I do that, dialogue is a lot clearer (although obviously sent 50:50 to FR and FL rather than going to the centre speaker).

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening & if there's anything I can do about it please? Could my amp have an internal fault?

Thanks,
    Alan

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    You are refering to this thread; https://www.avforums.com/threads/mission-75c-centre-speaker-dull-treble.2127677/

If you still have that center inside cabinet down low even if pushed forward, it`s too low to get the best sound out from it, unless you sit on floor. Generally speaking it should sound better in front of the tv in free air, using couple rubber door stoppers to angle it shoot upward and decoupling it from the glass!
    But you also said it`s only with DD movies which points out some settings are wrong. So we can rule out any connection/cable/tweeter problem away as you said it sounds fine with Pro Logic mode. Click the bass extension OFF and bass/treble/balance to 0 on the front panel for starters. You have tried different crossovers 80-100hz, speaker size small for center, speaker level tweak to bring it up more. Maybe there is some setting on now like pre-eq setting that doesn´t suit. So hard to say and just a guess game..

I think you should do Factory reset for the receiver and start setting it up again as you have tweaked so many things there. Sometimes starting from the scratch helps, going step by step..
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/YEC/Other/preset_DSP-A1.pdf

It`s little bit trickier to setup than new receivers, but manual can be founded here if you don`t have it anymore! https://www.manualslib.com/manual/339843/Yamaha-Dsp-A1.html#manual

3. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Might be worth taking a picture of your settings- levels, distances etc so we can see if anything is obviously amiss. Alternatively, it could be the output from your disc player that's doing something funny. If the TV is coming through OK then it might be the DVD/Bluray player doing something odd.

4. bigalxyz

bigalxyz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you both.

Factory reset done (oooh hidden engineer menus! I like those). Have equalised channel volume levels but left tone controls flat and bass extension off. I shall have a play and see what happens...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018