Dolby Digital and Sky+ problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gmt steve, Sep 21, 2003.

1. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I’ve just had Sky+ installed after trying to live with the Pace Twin for the last five months, and on initial impressions it’s hard to believe they are essentially similar products, I’ve just returned the Twin to Pace for a refund, since I’ve had enough of it’s ‘quirks’, and the imminent scrapping of the £10 Sky+ sub was too good to resist. As I said, my first impressions are very good, much more stable and versatile. The fact that there is actually stuff I want to record on Sky as opposed to what’s on Freeveiw does of course make it seem much more useful as well.
    But, and of course there has to be a ‘but’ doesn’t there? I have a problem with the Dolby Digital and the Sky+ box.
    I have the V2 box connected via optical to my Pioneer VSA-AX10, and the Sky+ set to DD in the sound menu. If the film is in Dolby Surround, then it plays back fine via optical, through the ‘amp, and also through the TV, via SCART. But if the film is DD then sometimes there is no output via the ‘amp or the TV. When this happens then there is no sound on Sky Movies Premier 1, 2 and 3 (the channels which carry DD).
    I also had this happen the first time I played a recording in DD. All other channels are fine and if I change the output in the Sound Menu from DD to Normal then everything is ok. The only way to restore DD is to pull the plug on the box and restart; this has worked every time so far, but is not ideal.
    So is this a known ‘bug’ with the V2 box, am I doing something wrong, or do I have a faulty box?

2. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I should say,you have a faulty box.I have just had sky+ installed and I have had no such prolems

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    same here,no problems my ax10 decodes ddolby digital fine,ring them up today and get a replacement.:smashin:

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this is a known issue. I would get a new box if I were you. I'm sure I have read other posts on this forum regarding your fault so maybe do a search.

5. Ken Kutaragi

Ken Kutaragi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How often is this occuring then for you? I`ve had my sky+ for a week now and this has happened once to me but didn`t bother me. Here If you have a look it seems to be a common problem that happens every now and again to people. Another one of sky+ bugs that need to be rectified ;)

6. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I have had Sky+ for three days now and it's happened three times. If the live pause trick works then I can live with it until they sort it out, but if I have to pull the plug every time then I'm not so sure. But it does seem that it's aproblem at the Sky end and not with my box, so I'll see what happens. Apart from this I think Sky+ is fantastic, and with dual recording coming soon........:clap: