Dolby Digital and PS2 Wipeout

Originally posted by Dom H
Are you sure about that? I counted at least a dozen that won't see light on the PS2.

Xbox is currently outselling the Gamecube in America not bad I say. Plus the new pack released shortly, Xbox + Jet Set Radio Future + SegaGT2002 all for £160 will help sales no end.

I had my PS2 for about a year and had 3 games, DOA2/GT3/Crazy Taxi.

Trust me, play an Xbox for 6 months and everything on the PS2 looks icky.

Rallisport/Project Gotham/MotoGP/Wreckless knock GT3 into a cocked hat in terms of smoothness and texture quality etc.

Ah I see Xbox has no gameplay <smacks forehead> Doh! I knew there was something missing.

Sure the PS2 has better games for now (GT3 is one of my all time faves) Everybody knows this when they buy into a console early on. When the above games are released give me one thing the PS2 will have up on the Xbox? Hell it's even cheaper!!

I will give you 2, pro evo soccer 2 and Gta Vice City!

you can smack your head again now

I will give you 2, pro evo soccer 2 and Gta Vice City!
I see your two and raise you;

Unreal Championship
Splinter Cell
Doom 3
Brute Force
Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sega GT 2k2
Fable (project ego)
Project Gotham 2
Toejam & Earl 3
Daytona 3
Mech Assault
Morrowind
Ninja Gaiden
DOA4
Shenmue 2
Outrun 2
Perfect Dark Zero
Plus maybe Banjo/Killer Instict/Conker

EDIT: Forgot the fact that we have Rare. Oh and not forgetting alot of these will be Xbox live compatible

I see your two and raise you;

Unreal Championship
Splinter Cell
Doom 3
Brute Force
Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sega GT 2k2
Fable (project ego)
Project Gotham 2
Toejam & Earl 3
Daytona 3
Mech Assault
Morrowind
Ninja Gaiden
DOA4
Shenmue 2

I see your PC based hand and raise you.

Soul Calibur 2 (yes you will have it 6 months later)
Contra
Star Wars Clone Wars
Onimusha 2
Devil May Cry 2
Winning Eleven 7 (April online play)
Ape Escape
Burn Out 2
Tomb Raider 6
Red Faction 2
Kingdom Hearts
SOCOM
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Two Towers
Mafia
Tenchu 3

have a nice day

I would take that list any day over Halo 2 and Doom 3, but I already have a PC :p

Those PS2 games are true console games (with the exception of one or two) and will undoubtadly as a whole provide far more long lasting enjoyment then either Doom 3 or Halo 2.

Of course this is all speculative as for all we know they could all turn out to be lame.

Currently though I am enjoying a little bit of lemmings and some old skool civnet in work.

Not bonkers, sensible. Most of us already have a PC, so we don't need another one with an ugly green logo under the TV ;)

Xbox is technically good and has some good games, but it has been a complete disaster sales wise, with the possible exception of the US, were it is still far behind the PS2.

Without Microsofts money it would be finished already.

Despite having the best lineup of launch games ever it has failed to capitalise on that with better games. The big games on the Xbox horizon are very PC like (Doom 3/Halo 2 etc.) which will appeal mainly to PC fans/owners who will play these types of games on the PC not Xbox.

Well anyone who would take that list over Doom 3 & Halo 2 is more than welcome.

roflmao your list is very PC based, and guess what?
I have a PC with a tft next to my widescreen TV, so I gotz yer beat there too.

The PS2 list I shown is a console list, the xbox list is a hybrid list and hence why it isnt owning the competition despite its specs.

Dont get me wrong dude I want an xbox, not for playing games, but with a little modifying you can turn into AV sex?

120gig HD, Network, Linux + movies = AV Sex:)

When it all shakes down we'll see where we all end up, i played Sega GT2002 over the weekend and believe me its time for GT3 to hang up its driving gloves. Sega GT really "pis*es on it chips". Splinter Cell will having asking a simple question when you play it "Snake who?" and unreal championship is going to take over my life - playing it on line is going to be an awesome experiance. I also played both the xbox and PS2 versions of Timesplitters2 and the xbox version does look better (just) and has less disk access. also ts2 makes use of the 5.1 which realy adds to the experaince.

If the PS2 fanboys (King Canute anyone?) think that MS are going to let the xbox fail then they are sadly mistaken.

oh and as for the loudness question - i know why its xbox is a touch louder - THE HARD DRIVE!!!!! oh that right the ps2 doesn't have one - it just needs £30,000 of memory cards to match it.

however, limited the xbox line up is (as least till after xmas) i'll content myself with the FACT that my gaming experiance is better than anything the PS2 can give me.

gary

You lot are stark raving bonkers

looks like your da looney loner:D

but it has been a complete disaster sales wise
I'm sorry but you are just making that up aren't you. Xbox as outsold the GC in america and is very close in europe (good be more could be a bit less) This is the big N were talking about here.
According to Target and Walmart Xbox has been selling on a 12:1 ratio against PS2 and GameCube for the day, with 15 consoles sold in the first 2 hours of buisness at Target, and 11 in the first 2 hours at Walmart.

EB was also reporting figures much the same with a ratio of 7:2 Against PS2, and 8:1 against GameCube (as of 5pm EST).
After the new bundle was released Xbox has been selling like crazy.

roflmao your list is very PC based, and guess what?
Um more than half of that list won't be released on PC.

firstly games like splinter cell are graphically more detailed than their pc counterpart and that's a fact coming from the devs. Doom 3 will also match the PC version exactly according to Mr Carmack. I hope you have at least a GF4 + 2Ghz in your PC.

secondly I don't think many PC setups can match a dedicated AV setup apart from resolution.

I'll take my several thousand pound av setup with nice leather sofa over sitting in front of a monitor playing with myself and other 56k'ers anyday.

If these Xbox games turn out to be duff i'll be straight into EB for another PS2 (and some vaseline for my eyes) but if not you lot will eat your words.

Do you honestly think M$ will let it go, have they ever not dominated before??

dom H,

its nice to know i have a friend on this thread. do you want to come and play halo at my place , some posters on this thread were really beggining to hack me off.

I saw Splinter Cell and Unreal Championship over the weekend and they look fantastic, i was drawling onto my shoes!! Our patenice will be rewarded!!

Sega GT 2002 is fantastic!!! (my wife is already hacked off with cars revving behind her head!!)

Gary

why do people moan about the xbox being a pc?
i play tac ops and ut2003 loads more than i play my consoles.
i must admit that it is a pain upgrading every 6 months but playing online with 8 mates , talkin strategy over game voice is not to be sniffed at.if ms get it right there is nothing better!getting the thrills i had to pay £1000 to enjoy , for under £200 seems a bargin!
also XBOX and GC uses chips from the big PC companies simply because these guys are experts at producing them at a low cost to MS and nintendo.
5 years ago a console was £400 quid!i am glad they have found that by not designing the chips themselves they can bring prices down.
on a slighty negative note i work in a videogames shop and if i had 10p for every ps2 that came back faulty.............................!?!
maybe sony should have got their bits from other companies!
especially the dvd rom drives!! :D

the PS2's build quality is appalling! but most PS2 users seem happy with for some reason. i work in a video shop and the amount of customers that bring back dvd's saying they wont play is very large. the first question is ask is what are you playing it on and they say PS2 - i tell them thats the problem then. ps2's are not very good at dvd playback, the picture on mine is terrible compared to the xbox. but as good as the xbox is at dvd playback its not as good as my tosh 220.

Gary

LOL silly arguments again.

1) Splinter cell - Taken from Gamespot

GS: Splinter Cell is currently in development for the Xbox and the PC, though most of the screenshots and movies released so far have supposedly been from the Xbox version. Graphically, how do the two compare? Are there any other notable differences between Splinter Cell for the PC and Xbox?

MF: They will be really similar visually. We use different techniques on the Xbox and PC, but the final result will look almost identical. The main differences on the PC will be the controls with the keyboard and mouse and the screen definition, which is better than TV.

Hmmm, quite obvious from a technical point of view. Also given the fact that it uses the Unreal engine, it has already been surpassed by the Unreal 2K3 engine, already available on PC.

2) Gaming figures - please provide your source as there are no readily available figures for US sales nor Europe sales. I cannot find the total sales list on Gamespy, only a few weekly figures. Japanese figures are pretty obvious, so I won't bring those up :)

3) If you could spend even more money on your several thousand pounds AV setup, you could buy a projector, link via SVGA to the PC and have direct digital inputs from the soundcard. This would provide a much higher res than an X-Box and be far more involving (coupled with better controls).

4) http://www.onlineathens.com/1998/043098/0430.a33microsoft.html
One MS major failure (a bit dated) but their internet access portal failed miserably, they still have not established the strong online prescence they wished for. AOL has far more subscribers.
Oh and by it's very premise, MS will never dominate the open source markets :p

X-Box is not hugely evil or bad, but you cannot argue that it is better than a top end PC and that it provides any significant gains over the PC (from a technical point of view). Of course it is cheaper and sits easier in the lounge, but it is limited in scope and is of course a pure games machine so you are unable to convienently complete other tasks (unless you fiddle about with mod chips).

heh, my last comment, although it is amusing winding up the X-Box crowd.

but you cannot argue that it is better than a top end PC
Well actually I've given up PC gaming for console gaming. My reasons;

I can make use of my AV setup
I can sit in comfort
I can play multiplayer with friends
I don't need to bother with patches/drivers/troubleshooting
I don't need to shell out for hardware upgrades every 6 months
I get console games AND pc games
I get to play online (soon) with no 56k players

It amazes me at the sheer volume of anti-xbox babble spouted across the forums. I mean you've just wasted 10 mins and a whole page trying to dismiss (and failing) the benefits of the big black box.

Microsoft come out with a fantastic games machine, brilliant hardware, great online plans and cheap as chips and what do you do? Slate it all day long.

Fools.

To answer your questions;

1) Splinter Cell PC is missing some of the effects due to some users machines lacking programmable shaders etc.

2) The Xbox IS outselling the GCN in NA.

3) Yeah or I could just use a £160 Xbox.

Xbox was a great machine with a superb launch line-up. Unfortunatley it was way too expensive in the current market. Since then it has reduced price enourmously in a (desperate) attempt to sell the machine. Microsoft lost money on every £299 Xbox never mind what it costs now.

Unfortunatly there has been no AAA games since launch and the only game I'm looking forward to is Sega GT, which is supposed to be good but not up there with GT3.

As for market share by the end of this year PS2 will have 63%, GC 21% and Xbox 16%

By the end of this year PS2 will have sold 50m, GC 10m and the Xbox 8.2m.

The fact is Microsoft tried to out Sony, Sony and has failed. Nintendo offer something different to PS2 but the Xbox offers nothing different and is infact inferior in terms of current games and new games.

Originally posted by stewarth
Xbox was a great machine with a superb launch line-up. Unfortunatley it was way too expensive in the current market. Since then it has reduced price enourmously in a (desperate) attempt to sell the machine. Microsoft lost money on every £299 Xbox never mind what it costs now.

Unfortunatly there has been no AAA games since launch and the only game I'm looking forward to is Sega GT, which is supposed to be good but not up there with GT3.

As for market share by the end of this year PS2 will have 63%, GC 21% and Xbox 16%

By the end of this year PS2 will have sold 50m, GC 10m and the Xbox 8.2m.

The fact is Microsoft tried to out Sony, Sony and has failed. Nintendo offer something different to PS2 but the Xbox offers nothing different and is infact inferior in terms of current games and new games.
Do people just make this stuff up??

Do people just make this stuff up??

Nope get with reality and defeat will be so much softer on your ego.

Ok well to make it easier on me could you just make a little list of all the reasons why the PS2 is superior, i'll give you a start;

1. GTA3
2. GT3

Superior in terms of games not hardware!

Pro Evo 2
Burnout 2
F12002 (Sony)
Timesplitters 2
Auto Modelista
Vice City
CM3
ICO
Good Cop,Bad Cop
Kingdom Hearts
Red Faction 2
Tekken 4
VF4
WRC2
Project Zero
Devil May Cry 2
Onimusha 2MGS2:Substance
Rachet and Clank
Star Wars Galaxies
The Getaway
Tomb Raider:Next
Silent Hill 3
XIII
Broken Sword
THPS4
MaliceMicro Machines
Lord of the Rings:Two Towers
Soul Caliber 2
The Sims
Final Fantasy Games
Nightfire

And on and on and on and on and on........................................

Just one thing, check out the exclusives. They are what swing purchasers from one console to another.

BTW the figures were not made up.

Originally posted by stewarth
Superior in terms of games not hardware!

Pro Evo 2
Burnout 2
F12002 (Sony)
Timesplitters 2
Auto Modelista
Vice City
CM3
ICO
Good Cop,Bad Cop
Kingdom Hearts
Red Faction 2
Tekken 4
VF4
WRC2
Project Zero
Devil May Cry 2
Rachet and Clank
Star Wars Galaxies
The Getaway
Silent Hill 3
XIII
Broken Sword
THPS4
MaliceMicro Machines
Soul Caliber 2
The Sims
Final Fantasy Games
Nightfire

And on and on and on and on and on........................................

Just one thing, check out the exclusives. They are what swing purchasers from one console to another.

BTW the figures were not made up.

Testify my brother Testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up on this argument a long time ago and I'm surprised the moderators haven't made a sticky or have at least done something about it all. I'm just thankful that not all of the threads on this fantastic forum is like this where "facts" are displayed with no sources and people who cannot admit that its okay to like more than one platform. If we're not careful this could turn into many other videogame forums which has been spoilt by many personal vendettas just to justify their console purchase. This was the whole reason why I left the forums at IGN, gamefaqs, dailyradar etc and I'm just glad that this hasn't spread to other threads.

Those are my last words on this thread anyway and comment as much as you like since quite simply the "debates" will go nowhere as it has shown already.

Pro Evo 2
Burnout 2
F12002 (Sony)
Timesplitters 2
Auto Modelista
Vice City
CM3
ICO
Good Cop,Bad Cop
Kingdom Hearts
Red Faction 2
Tekken 4
VF4
WRC2
Project Zero
Devil May Cry 2
Rachet and Clank
Star Wars Galaxies
The Getaway
Silent Hill 3
XIII
Broken Sword
THPS4
MaliceMicro Machines
Soul Caliber 2
The Sims
Final Fantasy Games
Nightfire

Well I counted 12 of those as Xbox games also lol :clown: and plus which will look better I wonder.

You cannot be serious if you think the games in that list (the ones that arent on xbox that is) compete with the likes of Halo 2, Doom 3, Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Unreal, Perfect Dark and Fable?!? Puhleease

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom