Dolby Digital Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ruff 1, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pre and power amp setup and I am looking to buy a Dolby Digital Amp. However I would really like to integrate the amp with my current setup and was wondering if this could be done with most DD Amps.

I have read that the Yamaha DSP-E492 and it's successor DSP-E800 can connect to an existing setup via the tape loops. Can any other make/model no do the the same thing too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any amp with pre-outs. The Yamaha amps you mentioned are just "missing" the amplification stage for the front channels.
    BTW: the 492 is the old model with DPL only the 800 comes with DD and DTS decoding.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or **** it, I ain't interested.

3. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner

Many thanks....... Can you recommend a good budget amp with pre outs that I can try out?

I take it that the pre out stage can be connected to a tape loop also?

Thanks

Ruff

4. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    A Yamaha DSPE800 only costs £217 and is an easy route to DD/DTS. Got one last year and must say it sounds great.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree on that.
    The DSP 800 from yamaha is great. There's no other DTS/DD who offers the same price/quality.
    Btw you must use the Phono out. So if you don't have it...it's better to buy a DTS/DD 5 channel amp.
    The A5 from yamaha?

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would also go for the Yamaha DSP-E800, unless you want to spend considerably more and invest into something like the Denon AVC-10SE which comes with Ex/Es decoding but not the amplification for it (which will be taken over by your stereo amp - or to be correct the stereo amp will take care of the front channels and the Denon of all the others by re-routing the Ex/Es signal to the built in front amplification, quite clever!).

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or **** it, I ain't interested.

7. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Thank you all for being extremely helpful. I am now the proud owner of a DSP-E800 and I LOVE IT......

Can you recommend some cheap but good rear and centre speakers....I've been checking out the Richer sounds website and everything seems to be out of stock. I think I may go for the Mission 700 Bookshelf speakers for the rear, they'll match my 753 Freedoms...

Thanks

8. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to you all for the info and knowledge that you have imparted. I am now the proud owner of a DSP-E800 and it was difficult to come by. I paid £250 in the end.

Can you recommend any good rear and centre speakers, fairly cheap also.

I've been looking at the Richersounds site and whilst most things are out of stock, I'm thinking of getting some Mission 700's as the rear speakers as they partner my Mission 753 Freedoms (main).

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You should match your center with the fronts if possible to maintain tonal balance, ie it should be of the same make and series.
    The same applies for the rears but here you may be able to compromise if cost becomes an issue. What front speakers do you actually have?

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

10. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Mission 753 Freedom floorstanders....which partner a Rotel pre and power combo....

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Than it's a good advise to find a Mission 75 Center, if it does not exist (or is too expensive) stick to the same brand at least, e.g. Mission 77C or the like.
    The Mission 77DS could make some nice rears if you don't mind bipolar speakers there.

12. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Reiner.....thanks yet again

It seems it's Missions all the way.

The Yamaha is a nice piece of kit even though I'm only playing it thru' the main speakers at present. I can't wait until I get the full setup....