Dolby Digital (again)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bling Bling, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting hacked off with the ongoing problems on Sky Movies 1,2 and 3 regarding a lack of 5.1 sound.

Sunday night, with output set to DD, no sound whatsoever on the above 3 channels. Only way to get sound was to alter digital output setting to 'normal', amp then picked up output from Sky+ as a pro-logic signal and played that.

Same thing last night. No sound at all, changing to 'normal' gave me pro-logic but absolutely nothing when output set to DD.

Rang Sky this morning on train on my way to work and they said that they don't know of any problems whatsoever with DD on movie channels. Said I would ring back this evening when I got home and talk them through exactly what the problem seems to be as they said they will talk me through what I should be doing - it's not what I should be doing as far as I can see, it's their broadcasts that are the problem !

Anyone else had same problems over past couple of days ? Is it fixable ??

2. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I had the same problems on Sat and Sun. After unplugging the box on Sunday the DD came back

3. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read a lot about this on here and digital spy, but I must be one of the lucky ones as i've not had one single occurence of this.

There is obviously an issue because of all the comments but as i say, it's never happened to me.

4. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes i have had the same problem with my box since day 1 i ring sky every 4 weeks about the problem.
    They have told that me that the tech guys are looking at the problem and fix should be avaiable soon and will be sent to your box :eek:

i have to switch my box off and then on again to resolve it .
    Sky told me to set the audio output of the box to stereo :mad:

But i told them why would i do that when the whole point of getting Sky + was the use the £2500 of home cimema i have .

Keep phoning them every month about the problem and get them to log it then if its a problem with the boxes we will be able to get them changed under warranty:clap: (after removing the 120 gig hdd of course ):hiya:

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    never happened to me either, I had one of the first boxes in the country v2, maybe that was a good batch...

6. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update. Rang them last night and the women at the other end of the phone knew all about this problem as soon as I started to describe what was wrong. She said it was a known software issue at their end and not a hardware problem with the box - she couldn't promise anything but they were hopeful that it would be resolved by next month and a software update would be available automatically.

The DD 5.1 sound came back as well last night on Channels 1 and 3 so it's a case of sitting tight for now and just putting up with the problem until they sort it.

Lets see if James Murdoch earns his pocket money from his Dad. :D

7. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have spent many nights speaking to Sky about this issue. It would seem though that the message is getting through and they are acknowledging that there is a problem. I too have had the "switch settings to normal sound for now" request and made the point as above that DD was the main reason for ditching cable. They are reluctant to talk about compensation but I know some on here have been more successful.
    I was advised today that they have ceased to broadcast in DD until a resolution is found. I pointed out that they are still advertising Sky+ with DD 5.1 on their web site which was a concern given that they know it's a problem.
    I have got in the habit of recording the film and watching it a few mins. later whilst still recording. This at least seems to stop the sound dropping off without warning.

8. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i too have just phoned up sky to confirm they HAVE turned off all d.d encoding untill further notice,i didnt have a go at the bloke on the other end but i told him about our forum and the concern over this issue,he said it is a strange problem they cant figure out yet but they will update software a.s.p ,i have no sound at all on sky movies 2 at this moment so i am reverting back to normal sound in sky + box,sounds like they are trying to fix it,lets keep them on their toes!

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Further notice must have only been an hour or so because I've got DD on SM3 right now.
    You really have to wonder about the information given to the CS staff, it makes them look like idiots or worse liars.

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I had the problems for a couple of nights, but since the weekend its been fine. And it is outputting DD 5.1, unless my amp is telling me porkies.